Re: My Theory on the Father of Independents.

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 14:05:14 +1300

So I had a look at the Father of Independents. And had a brainwave.
  1. He says things which are not true.
  2. He was captured and made to work in the Dead Place.
  3. He can help people around the Dead Place due to his previous experience in the Underworld.

Now who is it that has a record of capturing otherworldly entities and putting them in a similar place (ie Mr Raccoon of Doctor Rock made to place the Raccoon Guardian of Tusunimmi Ford)? Who is it that is well known for using contrived justifications to exploit the magic of other lands? My thinking is that Father of Independents was captured by the God Learners and put to work in Prax to explore the Dead Place.

He actually fathered the Independents. But the Independents that he fathered are not the Independents of Pra and he is too damaged by his traumatic experiences to realize this. We can probably rule out Pamaltela for his origin given that neither the Men-and-a-half nor the Basmoli recognize him. Ralios and Maniria might also be ruled out due to the Unicorn Riders and Newtlings. Which leaves Fronela, Jrustela, Kumanku, Teleos or Loral.

What are the magics of the Father of Independents? There are the Ferryman spirits which can assist travel in the dead place and also make ghosts pass on. I'm also inclined to give him a class of spirits to avoid death magic and killing blows. The third and last class of spirits that he has would be his children. These are the Praxian Independents who have acknowledged his kinship/believed his lies in the past and provide a weak shadow (ie charms only) of the magics of the independent tribes.

--Peter Metcalfe