Re: Ideas around the death of Kallyr, in game?

From: ian_hammond_cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 20:54:06 -0000

Well, at the moment its not in scope for that project. I've talked of pitching a separate Kallyrsaga to Moon Designs, but that's a way off being real for all of us.

The Coming Storm covers 1618-1625, so it ends with the liberation of Sartar and in particular the Battle of Dangerford. Kallyr is an NPC in the book - and the PCs come to her attention after the 11 lights heroquest in the campaign; so they interact with her, but this book is not her personal story. The Coming Storm is about trying to help your clan survive (and tribe) the early days of the Hero Wars.

For context, the Coming Storm's closest RQ antecedent in style is probably Borderlands, though the year-by-year chronicle obviously owes a debt to the Great Pendragon Campaign. Kallyr's story is epic not chronicle (well even tragedy).

Kallysaga, which is something some folks have heard me talk about at cons. would be Kallyr's personal story. It really is ideas in my head right now. The idea is that you can run it alongside The Coming Storm or the Colymar campaign, or your own Sartar campaign, and that its events go from about 1623 to the Battle of the Queens.

My current perspective is as follows:

Now, IMO the decision to bring Kallyr back is one that the PCs should make. And the choice should be about the price that was paid to get her to where she is today. If you were one of Macbeth's followers and could resurrect him at the end of the play, would you? She is in the afterlife, with the gods, is it really a kindness to bring her back. ( BTW The Red Cow know all about that, they have access to Splendorbread, so they can do it, but the last chieftain they brought back developed the re-life sickness, so they are loath to use it).

I'm not sure how much that helps anyone who is at the that point in their campaign. After all your Kallyr is however you pitched her, and so the conflict over bringing her back has to make sense to your game.

'Kallyrsaga' does have one scenario right now: Slaves of the Reaching Moon. My group have played it as part of my house playtest of The Coming Storm. I'll give it another outing at Eternal Con. I'll likely run these ideas in my house campaign, whatever happens.

Of course the Moon Designs team will make all the final decisions on what gets published and when, and life is uncertain. So don't take anything I say as more valid than a horse-tip down the boozer.