Re: Ideas around the death of Kallyr, in game?

From: bryan_thx <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 19:55:59 -0000

Thanks Ian--lots of food for thought! And I think I've finally figured out a way to make this resonate in my game.

My campaign has been aimed at an early adolescent, so has been fairly light on moral ambiguities (some people have made difficult compromises, not everyone agrees on how things should be done, even some lunars are sympathetic.... but basically good guys are good guys and bad guys are bad guys). Kallyr has been a 'good guy' from what the player has seen of her (he is still about two layers removed from her, most of the time).

But one things that I've brought up is that other groups in Dragon Pass don't want to be ruled by a king (or queen) of Sartar. The PC has had a confidence shaking conversation with the queen of Tarsh, and is on friendly terms with members of a heroband representing minor players in the conflict (Grazers, Shaker temple, Beast men, etc). I can probably figure out a way to cast this battle such that lack of broad support means that Sartar doesn't have the numbers nor sheer might to truly defeat the army of Tarsh....and is Kallyr's undoing.

(This would also set up a longer struggle where mere strength at arms won't be the solution any time soon. Also a good lesson to embed in the game for a 15 year old, sometimes you do need to look for another way!)

One question: can Ian, or someone, give me a sentence or two about the 11 lights heroquest? It sounds significant, and I know that there is later an 11 lights heroband/military unit, but I'm completely at sea as to the nature of this quest.