Re: Dara Happans and Time

From: Jeff <richaje_at_...>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 06:29:03 -0000

> For example, if you visit the Storm Age, the entities you meet
> will know that there has been a Golden Age (or Stagnant Age,
> depending on yout point of view). If you visit the Golden/Stagnant
> Age on the other hand, those you interact with will know nothing
> of the coming Storm Age. Right?

Those terms are scholarly labels, not used by the gods. Orlanth does not speak of the Storm Age. He might say that "Before Me, all was Stagnant". A Celestial god might speak of the "Golden Age that preceded this Gods War", and so on.

> Same for the Vithelans, visit the Demigods Cycle and those you
> meet will know of the Oorsu Sara war and how Mashunasan saved
> the Cosmos by not doing anything. If you go to the Gods Cycle
> (presumably not the Oorsu Sara war though if you don't want to
> be destroyed), nobody will know of the Herespur war.

Now you are God Learning! And the answer is mixed. Often the gods in myths seem to know about events that should occur "later" in the God Time. And can't do anything about it. Some scholars report the Celestial Court in the Golden Time being aware that the Storm and Darkness would come.

The God Learners did notice certain things in their trips to the God Time that helped them to provide order to mythic events. Certain cosmological features change from myth to myth. Sometimes to sky is bright like solid stars, sometimes it is blue, sometimes it is black. Sometimes there are ten planets, sometimes none. From these details, mythic events could be placed in something of a sequence - although, sometimes "inconsistencies" stubbornly remained.

> So, back to where we started, my impression was that the
> Avanapdur war and the Austerity war were at the same macro
> level stage in the greater cosmological sequence, a distinct
> stage from the Dawn. That lack of no reference to the other
> in each set of myths mainly because neither spanned all of
> Vithela (Austerity war in the north, AVanpdur war in the south).

Keep in mind that Thella's Net does not immediately follow the Avanpdur War. The Avandpur story itself doubles back on itself to the end of the Gods Cycle (re: the suggestion that Avandpur cursed Kerandaruth, which other stories attribute to Oorsu Sara).

Long after Avandpur disappeared into the Dream World, Adlanari (another wicked antigod and the causer of nightmares) was still strong, and in order to bind her out of the world, Thella's leaders determined that they must perform the greatest of deeds. They organized all the people who revered Thella, traveling as far as Vithalash, Vormain, and Kralorela. They tied their magical knots, and spread Thella's Net across the East, dismissing the nightmares, separating mortals from deeper dreaming, and so on. In short, the Dawn.

One thing about the East Isles that really was impossible to properly appreciate before the Guide mapping project was really how comparatively huge the area covers. The islands of Vormain cover about the same amount of land (not to mention water) as Kralorela. Several other islands are larger than any Lunar satrapy.