Re: Xemela and Froalar : the dirty secrets

From: David Weihe <blerg2_at_...>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 06:37:51 -0700 (PDT)

> Imagine a Quest to the Other Side to See these events and finding
> out Hrestol' s dirty family secrets. The rokari church would eat this up,
> and use them to show how they were a bunch of bastards. The idealists
> would do their best (as usual) to See the Glory of this Perfect Family.

You assume that HeroQuests will _objectively_ reveal motives and internal thought processes of the objects of that Quest.  If someone is taking the roles of Froalar or Xemela, then they can impose their own prejudices on those roles; obviously, if the displayed emotions go too far from those displayed (not necessarily actually felt, mind you) in the original myth then the quester will fail any Identity Challenge, probably including continual low level challenges from the myth itself (that any quester should ordinarily pass, unless his Big Man is a 98 lb weakling, or his "darkman" is a Yelmalion, or something similarly wildly wrong).

Thus, if they ever thought of it, the Rokari would try this, but it would convince no one who did not already believe it, to some extent.  Anyone who didn't believe it would point out the crappy acting, no stars visible, and that the flag was waving in a vacuum -- oops, wrong myth.  Well, you get the idea.

PS: I suppose that a big enough win, with support by a large enough portion of your partisans, over a large enough portion of the opposing believers, could convince the losers of the attitudes and motives that the winners believe.  OTOH, if the Rokari goofed badly enough, they might well destroy themselves when their own Quest convinces all Rokari that Hrestol really did knowwhat he preached and demonstrated with his life.  Now, wouldn't THAT be embarrassing?

PPS:  The above paragraphs are not, in any way, meant to show support to the belief that the Moon Landing did not occur.