Re: Malkioni Heroquesting

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2013 23:19:27 +1200

On 5/1/2013 12:21 AM, Daniel wrote:
> This is very interesting, and I'd like to know more. Do Malkioni heroquests still focus on the gods rather than the likes of Hrestol and Rokar? Do they basically act as "themselves" while on a heroquest, even as they take on a mythical role (as in the example with Seshna Likita - even if you are acting on your own, you still are following an ancient hero's footsteps)? Is Malkioni heroquesting more versatile than that of theists?

My own opinion.

The heroquests are paths set down by Zzabur, Horal and others.

They are not expeditions to kill things and take their stuff but psychic exercises in understanding the truths of the cosmos. At the lowest level, successful performance of a Malkioni quest confers a spell related to that quest.
Performance of a quest on a deeper level has greater perils and rewards.

I think the difference between the Wizards and the Men-of-All is that the Wizards follow the Quests primarily to learn spells (ie they avoid the deeper meanings) while the Men-of-All plunge into the deeper levels of the Quests to bring themselves closer to God (with a higher risk to life and limb but not sanity - as any Wizard can tell you, Knights are already insane).

Currently the Malkioni avoid performing quests to effect external changes (ie to end a drought). They will consider perfoming a quest to study how droughts can be defeated and then perform a grand spell to end the drought at a cost of reduced effectiveness.

--Peter Metcalfe