Re: Esrolian Malkioni

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_...>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2013 09:22:57 -0000

drscience3000:
> I think this might be a bit dumb.

Not at all - it gets a bit complicated, I think.

> But they have Malkioni sorcerery in Esrolia/Nochet.

Yes, there are different types of sorcery in the Holy Country.

There are Brithini in God Forgot who use the First Sorcery and are atheists and sorcerers.

Also in God Forgot are other sorcerers who are not Brithjinik but are also atheists.

In Heortland and Esrolia there are "native" sorcerers who follow one of Arkat's companions and treat the Gods almost as Saints, they are Henotheists.

Also, the Trader Princes are found throughout the Holy Country and are a different type of Malkioni.

There are probably more, but I can't remember them. Richard the Tigerheart was Malkioni, but I don't think he belonged to any of those groups.

> Malkoni believe in the one true god and not the others (of which
> there are a lot in Esrolia).

The Henotheists believe that some of the Storm/Earth gods act as Saints and worship them in a Malkioni way, so they are a halfway house. Other Malkioni think of them as heretics, though.

> So are the Malkioni and worshipers of Ernalda (etc.) completely
> different groups?

Generally, yes.

Most clans and families are from one particular belief stream, so you get the predominately Earth-worshipping clans, some Stoemn-worshipping clans, some Henotheist clans, some Trader Prince clans and some Malkioni clans.

> Can you have a theist and a wizard from the same family?

In theory yes. There is nothing to stop a Henotheist clan member from changing worship to worship the Gods themselves, for example, while another member remains Malkioni and honours the gods as saints.

You could also get a member of a clan who converts to the other way of worship.

Would there be clans where some members are Malkioni and some worship the Earth Goddesses? Maybe, but they would be rare, in my opinion.

Simon