Re: Spelling the Runes

From: David Dunham <david_at_a-sharp.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 12:40:39 -0400

On 20 Jul 2013, at 13:52, Glass <glass_at_panix.com> wrote:

> Khordavu had his own unique rune KH and as far as I know nobody has ever followed this up.

Without remembering the specifics of the Dara Happans, this sort of thing suggests that he is a foreigner — his name is unusual and the Dara Happans don't have a way to write it. Since he becomes Emperor, they have to figure out a way in a hurry… (IIRC, Japanese hiragana has some characters that are used only in words of foreign derivation, like "gyoza".)

> Given the variety of spellings (As we all know, in all three LM scripts, Mallia and Malia are spelled the same), we've decided to pick "MALLIA". That's to distinguish it from "Malia" a Minoan palace and village in northern Crete.

Whereas for some reason we decided to pick "Malia" in King of Dragon Pass. I can't recall the logic. (I'm pretty sure I did visit Malia while in Crete, years ago.)

David Dunham