Re: Population in zola Fel

From: John Biles <john_at_biles.us>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 00:26:38 -0500

On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 6:52 PM, Daniel C <greatdragon13_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> OK, more questions. When figuring out how many combat effective males
> there would be, would I divide by 6, 5, 4 or 3? Or 1 out of 6, 1 out of 5,
> etc? In Medival and ancient societies, large families were the norm because
> children tended to die young for various reasons and one could be lucky to
> have children live to adulthood. With Glorantha's healing magics available
> would more children live to adulthood? Sorry, trying to figure out
> available combat effectives for an upcoming event in Pavis that will
> coincide with the events of Pavis/Big Rubble/River of Cradles in the
> current game I am running.
> Thanks
> Daniel

It depends on the society. In Sartar, 1 in 7 are elderly, 3 in 7 are adults, 3 in 7 are kids. Most male and some female adults fight, but only in the fyrd, which is low-quality. Between 1 in 50 to 1 in 100 tribespeople are thanes, full-time warriors.

In general, it's hard for a real world society to keep more than 1% of its population as full time warriors, though lots of past societies, men might go one one serious raid in a year and mostly do other stuff as part-time warriors.

So Pavis might field 40 thanes and 1700 or so militia, though most of the militia would only come out in an emergency.