Re: Lunar southern strategy

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 10:33:19 -0000

roko_joko:
> > They tried that
>
> Fortified supply lines down the southwestern rivers would support
> a siege at the Building Wall.

The whole point of the Building Wall was that wherever they went then wall built itself up in front of them. Had they continued it would have become thicker and higher until they couldn't cross. A siege wouldn't have had much effect as all they would have done was to wait in front of a wall.

The Pharaoh did this as a magical act and stopped the Lunars in their tracks. This is one reason why he had to be killed, because he was so powerful. Another reason is that the Lunars couldn't take the Holy Country while he was around.

I have a theory that the Red Emperor was going to attend the Contest of Luck and Death and become the next Pharaoh, thus sealing himself as God-King or the Holy Country. After all, he did this as the Dara Happan Emperor and the Paradiscal Aviator of Rinliddi.

> > I would also query how friendly the Grazers would be,
> > considering the Lunars' attitude to Pentians.
>
> The Lunars would probably have to coopt the Grazers and that
> wouldn't be free; it would be a significant part of the strategy.
> But I think the Pentan thing is about history and geography rather
> than culture. I think that in Lunar ideology the ideal of Lunar
> inclusiveness takes precedence over the ideal of solar orthodoxy.

Kargzant is a rival sun god to Yelm. The Pentians ruled Perloria for a good portion of its existence. Sheng Seleris and his Pentians brought down the Empire. Yara Aranis is the Horse Eater. So, the Lunars just don't like Pentians.

Although you could argue that the Grazelanders are not Pentians, they derive from the Pure Horse Tribe of Prax and they worship Kargzant.

The Lunars could use the Feathered Horse Queen as a way into the Grazelanders, but I doubt if she would be friendly.

In fact, the Red Emperor could do worse than trying to marry the Feathered Horse Queen and become King of Dragon Pass. It would be very difficult, but would secure his position. After all, a Tarshite King managed it, so it isn't the exclusive domain of the Sartar Dynasty.

Simon