Re: Initiation among the Orlanthi

From: David Dunham <david_at_a-sharp.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2013 22:12:47 -0400

On 21 Jun 2013, at 21:40, Zachary Kline wrote:

> In reading the Report on the Orlanthi, both from King of Sartar and the slightly tweaked version in Sartar, KoH, it is suggested adulthood initiations occur every five years, on average. What does this translate to in terms of detailed process? I remember reading somewhere description of the step-by-step, but can’t seem to find it now.
> Why every five years, out of interest? I note in King of Dragon Pass, around 20 children seem to become adults every year, give or take, with occasional crazy exceptions. Is this just a convenient gameplay abstraction?

A way old question, but: it's probably an example of "age group" or "age sets" (e.g. see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nandi_people). If the rituals take a lot of preparation, you might not want to conduct them every year. And you might want to guarantee having more than one or two eligible children. (Well, the reasons are my speculation, but age groups are relatively common in human cultures, though the exact meaning can vary.)

King of Dragon Pass intentionally abstracts out a lot of details that don't matter at the clan level.

David Dunham