Re: Speaking of Heler...

From: Andrew Larsen <aelarsen_at_mac.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 14:51:04 -0500

Thanks to all for the good thoughts so far. To go into more detail:
  1. He lost his Water Rune doing the Lawstaff quest scenario. They performed the Summons of Evil before hand, and I decided that their hidden enemy was going to be Delecti, who in my campaign is the Thing with Many Bodies, the clan's Ancient Enemy and someone they've confronted indirectly a couple times. The players did a pretty good job of preparing, went into the quest with good support, and basically did everything right until the Helerite hit the Heroquest challenge without knowing that he was confronting Delecti. He wagered his entire Water Rune (this was not the first quest they had done, but they hadn't tried to wager anything in the previous one, so they weren't sure just how risky that was--a reason I'm willing to give him an opportunity to get it back). Obviously against Delecti he had some big penalties, but he had some bonuses, including the clan's support, and a couple of hero points. But his dice completely crapped out. He rolled three fumbles during the contest, which burned through all his hero points just to convert them to failures, and most of his other rolls were almost as awful. So he lost pretty big, mostly through no fault of his own (other than taking a big risk).
  2. The player has been remarkably good about the whole thing. He took the loss well, hasn't complained, and has changed his role-playing to reflect that his personality is now less about water and more about mobility. So again, I want to reward him with a chance to get it back.
  3. He's serious about being a Helerite. His character is a shepherd and a fair number of sheep-themed things have happened to him (including once impregnating a sheep during a sheep raid--one of the weirdest things I've ever had to narrate).

Andrew E. Larsen