Re: Speaking of Heler...

From: hcarteau_at_free.fr
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 19:17:23 +0200 (CEST)

  1. He lost his Water Rune doing the Lawstaff quest scenario. They performed the Summons of Evil before hand, and I decided that their hidden enemy was going to be Delecti, who in my campaign is the Thing with Many Bodies, the clan's Ancient Enemy and someone they've confronted indirectly a couple times.
    /// That is cool. Equating Delicti with the TomB is a great idea!

The players did a pretty good job of preparing, went into the quest with good support, and basically did everything right until the Helerite hit the Heroquest challenge without knowing that he was confronting Delecti. He wagered his entire Water Rune (this was not the first quest they had done, but they hadn't tried to wager anything in the previous one, so they weren't sure just how risky that was--a reason I'm willing to give him an opportunity to get it back).
/// OK. I also like rewarding risk-taking.

2) The player has been remarkably good about the whole thing. He took the loss well, hasn't complained, and has changed his role-playing to reflect that his personality is now less about water and more about mobility. So again, I want to reward him with a chance to get it back.
/// Understood. Sounds like a very interesting player.

3) He's serious about being a Helerite. His character is a shepherd and a fair number of sheep-themed things have happened to him (including once impregnating a sheep during a sheep raid--one of the weirdest things I've ever had to narrate).
/// I don't even want to know about such things! But OK, he wants to be Heler.

/// Now let's think about it... Delicti is a SMART monster. He has ripped the guy's soul so he (it) knows what he's all about, what makes him tick (besides sheep cuddling I mean), what are his deep motivations. So he's going to offer him his power back, for just a small service: (fill in with whatever fits with your campaign). The "service" could be "bring me back wool from an Azure Sheep. It's an easy task for you". It should worry the player, who should wring his thumbs over this! The Azure Sheep being something sacred to Heler of course; what could Delicti do with it??? (hint: I have no idea).

Keep a way out open for the player: use Trickster Magics to pass off an ordinary sheep for an Azure one (Nearly Impossible difficulty level?), do a Quest before handing out the Sheep to be ready to strike a suprise blow at Delicti (such as "How Nontraya got stuck"), recruit a century of Humakti to back him up... The mind boggles with possibilities, it can take you anywhere!