Re: Arkat and troll illumination

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 21:32:33 -0000

Glass asks:
> (Are Arkati trolls illuminated or just weird?)

I played a Zorakarkati troll. The way I did it was that she had the special power to use different kinds of magic without the usual penalties. In other words, she was a total cheater character. So, she started off as a sorceress, was progressing towards being a shaman, and was chipping away at being a death lord. But each time she took one of the big steps along any combination, she raised her chance of being illuminated by 1% and had to roll right away. I was really hoping to get to role-play that without the other players knowing exactly what had happened.

Sadly, she died a horribly meaningless death before she could die a meaningfully horrible death. But at least she became a horrible undead creature, which is appropriate. It's too bad we left that area. Having to fight my former character would have been ... actually, it would have been bad. She was really big.

So, my answer was "weird in a way that usually leads to illumination." My story was that the trolls didn't really realize that their leaders were becoming illuminated, but every couple hundred years, some death lord would go on a zombie rampage against civilized trolls. That doesn't really need any more explanation than, you know, "Death Lord." Hence their lack of understanding.

Chris