Re: Arkat and troll illumination

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 19:35:25 +1200

On the subject of Trolls and Illumination, my opinions.

There's many independent traditions of transcendental awareness, but I'll focus on three.

"BENIGHTENMENT": The Traditional Uz mysticial insight. Usually gained
from worshipping Subere. All Mistress Race Trolls have this insight naturally. Other trolls can only hope to gain a fraction of their wisdom through decades of terrible sacrifices.

ILLUMINATION: Originally traditional Yelmic Mystical Insight. Adapted by Nysalor to transmit his teachings. Now the bedrock of Lunar Magic.

"ARKATI WISDOM": The mystical awareness first gained by Arkat. Slandered
by God Learners as being Illumination (and widely repeated) and suppressed. Now thrives only in Guhan and many Ralian secret societies.

The Trolls of Guhan use Arkati Wisdom primarily to understand human sorcery. Most humans can do this naturally so this use of Arkati Wisdom is pointless to them. Trolls can become illuminated in the same way humans go insane after reading the Necronomicon. If near the Lunar Empire, they can become tamed by the Blue Moon Cultists.

--Peter Metcalfe