Re: Re: King Bee (and real comments)

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_KNkIyiBY02GcaigvCFCLQIaOo1QDFl5u5qmzSCm0Jv-I6nSPM8_FglG667QgrkTmPC>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 15:37:20 -0500

Darran wrote:

> Greetings and Salutations
> 2002-02-22-2020.
>
> I think that in a wilderness stead a majority of the adults will have
> two
> skills or professions. So one of the farmers is initiated to both
> Orstan
> and Orlanthcarl, not enough work to keep one carpenter busy all the
> time.
> Pottery would probably be made as a one off in a temporary kiln built
> out of
> clay (a bit like a charchol kiln). The corn would still be ground by
> hand
> in querns, wool would be spun by hand etc.

I don't think this is a wilderness stead. Its a bit isolated, like many, but its probably within an hour or two's walk of the Clan village. We're going for typical, right?

But yes, I think that there'd be a lot of farmer-carpenter, farmer-shingler, farmer...

...which is why the Farmer Keyword has such a lot of non-farming skills in it.

Potters, though, takes dedication. Finding clay and throwing pots is a full-ish time job. Might be one woman on a stead that does it, maybe or they trade.

Every woman weaves, though. Every man farms. (Orlanthi every, natch..)

> I think that hunters are going to be the main group of the four
> providers.
> I think if we are doing a single bloodline stead we should have very
> few
> speciallists.

A farmer based stead is not going to be typical. I think there's a few folks who hunt on occasiopn and maybe some young folks who hunt full time but I thought it was a farmstead we were working on.

A hunting lodge would be a good secondary, unusual stead for later...

No-one Hunts Like Gaston
No-one Stinks like Gaston
No-one makes use of the sauna quite like Gaston
He's especially good at skinning and flaying! Five pelts for Gaston.

--
Jeffrey Kyer - Consultant
Distributed Technology Management (LOB Porting Lab)