rules clarifications?

From: Goihl & Fahey <glorantha-board_at_rpglist.org>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 18:56:30 +0200

------=_NextPart_000_0063_01C31FCA.B1073400 Content-Type: text/plain;

        charset="iso-8859-1"

><< ancestors- do these count as major units?
>
>They could be carried by a=20
>Khan, who is not a major unit.

I'd let a Shaman carry them too. Seems Shamans should be able to do = things with Ancestors.
=20
>I think the turn is actually supposed to be a day but this makes >the herds move very quickly, (IMO).

Yes, Herds should only move about a hex a day, normally. You could drive = them further but too much of that would put their health at risk. = Remember they are trying to eat all the time.

>... consequences of movement such as disruption to represent >tiredness and lack of feeding time.

Right.

>These would have a dramatic effect on gameplay making the herds
>more important in many ways, but slowing the game down and
>probably unbalancing the Morocanth.

This shouldn't hurt the Morokanth. Since their Herds are already slower = it would equalize the others.

>I think there might need to be other changes, such as limiting
>the rate at which spirit alliances can be made (again, perhaps
>to once per week, or only on an appropriate day- Oakfed on
>Fireday frex.) so that many more turns can be played out.

It worked fairly well as we did it in the Email games; one roll for each = Altar but only successful on rolls of 1, or 1 and 2 for Shamans and = such.
But yes, if you intend a longer game you'd want to limit it more. Could = say only Shamans can summon, and clans with Medicine Bundles, or = whatever. Or you could arrange for spirits to eventually leave, maybe by = rolling a die each turn and removing them on a one, or removing them if = their stack encounters certain things or suffers a setback.

>If one spreads the game out like this then the possibility of a
>loooonnnng game (in glorantha time) running from Winter
>fertile to Summer becomes possible.

Both email games lasted around twenty turns and could have continued. = Several sides still had viable numbers of pieces, altho some did not.

Daniel

------=_NextPart_000_0063_01C31FCA.B1073400 Content-Type: text/html;

        charset="iso-8859-1"

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>&gt;&lt;&lt; ancestors- do these count as major units?</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&gt;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&gt;They could be carried by a <BR>&gt;Khan, who is not a major =
unit.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'd let a Shaman carry them too. Seems =
Shamans=20
should be&nbsp;able to do things with =
Ancestors.</FONT><BR>&nbsp;<BR>&gt;I=20
think&nbsp;the turn is actually supposed to be a day but this = makes</DIV>
<DIV>&gt;the herds move very quickly, (IMO).</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Yes, Herds should only move about a hex =
a day,=20
normally. You could drive them further but too much of that would put = their=20
health at risk. Remember they are trying to eat all the = time.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&gt;...&nbsp;consequences of movement such as disruption to =
represent</DIV>
<DIV>&gt;tiredness and lack of feeding time.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Right.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&gt;These would have a dramatic effect on gameplay making the =
herds</DIV>
<DIV>&gt;more important in many ways, but slowing the game down =
and</DIV>
<DIV>&gt;probably unbalancing the Morocanth.</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>This shouldn't hurt the Morokanth. =
Since their=20
Herds are already slower it would equalize the others.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&gt;I think there might need to be other changes, such as =
limiting</DIV>
<DIV>&gt;the rate at which spirit alliances can be made (again, =
perhaps</DIV>
<DIV>&gt;to once per week, or only on an appropriate day- Oakfed =
on</DIV>
<DIV>&gt;Fireday frex.) so that many more turns can be played out.</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>It worked fairly well as we did it in =
the Email=20
games; one roll for each Altar but only successful on rolls of 1, or 1 = and 2 for=20
Shamans and such.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>But yes, if you intend a longer game =
you'd want to=20
limit it more. Could say only Shamans can summon, and clans with = Medicine=20
Bundles, or whatever. Or you could arrange for spirits to eventually = leave,=20
maybe by rolling a die each turn and removing them on a one, = or&nbsp;removing=20
them if their stack encounters certain things or suffers a=20 setback.</FONT></DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT><FONT = face=3DArial=20
size=3D2></FONT><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>
<DIV><BR>&gt;If one spreads the game out like this then the possibility =
of=20
a</DIV>
<DIV>&gt;loooonnnng game (in glorantha time) running from Winter</DIV>
<DIV>&gt;fertile to Summer becomes possible.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Both email games lasted around twenty =
turns and=20
could have continued. Several sides still had viable numbers of pieces, = altho=20
some did not.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Daniel</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0063_01C31FCA.B1073400--