Gorgorma and Yara Aranis

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 1994 14:46:28 +0800

>Ah, and by the way: Would the Teshnan "Gorgoma" still be " eater of horses",
>or perhaps the "malign eater of elephants" ?

        Of course, Gorgorma is not actually the "eater of horses" but the mother of the eater of horses, Yara Aranis. Exactly what horse eating functions (or comsumption of other domesticated beasts of burden :-)) were latent in her cult before the Red Emperor fathered Yara Aranis (just don't think about it too much - suffice to say the Emperor is obviously a heroquester of some ability and a very brave man) is unknown.

        Gorgorma is associated with dogs and bears. The former I suspect represents rabid domesticated dogs that turn on their masters. I suspect many a peasant rebellion has the fleeing nobles chased by packs of rabid dogs.

        Actually, how much of an active connection might there be between Gorgorma and Yara Aranis? Probably enough that the YA cult does not get on well with the nobility. Quite possibly the YA cult forms a bit of a foreign legion for political malcontents (whereas most of the DX cultists are criminals, not rebels). Keep those with outrageous political beliefs (ie the barest hint of feminism or republicanism) well away from the Heartlands.

        Cheers
                Dave C