Basmoli

From: Alex Ferguson <alex_at_dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 94 08:18:53 GMT

David Dunham agitates for a dead and well cult of Basmol:
> Being dead doesn't necessarily prevent a god from having worshippers and
> granting them rune spells -- I think Thanatar is an example of an active
> dead god.

Doesn't seem to be, nowhere have I seen him being offed. Than explicitly survives having his head absented, after all.

> Mostal is dead, too.

This is what the theists say, which fits with the mostali use of sorcery - -- prime evidence of a non-working or non-existent deity, think they. The Mostali themselves reckon this is theistic muddle-headness, and don't admit to the worship of any god, much less a dead one.

I won't flatly state there's not a theistic cult which does worship a dead god, but if there is one, I'd expect they'd have some rationale as to why he still seemed to be magically up'n'about. Like having returned as "undead", if one would count that.

> the Telmori "know that other men may look the same as them" [DloD.119], in
> other words, Gloranthan werewolves usually have two eyebrows.

Note the "may". This would suggest merely that they are within (or at least, overlap with) the range of human characterists, not that they all look like "typical" humans. So all Telmori could certainly have a single eyebrow, given that normal human eyebrow count occupies the integer interval [1..2]. (I hope, otherwise I know some werewolves...)

> It's possible
> that the Basmoli are different from other Hsunchen in this regard, but I've
> seen no evidence that they'd be any different from any others.

Is it a given that Basmoli _are_ Hsunchen, in the precise sense of the term? There was some earlier discussion to the effect that Hsunchenism might be a purely Wereran thing, and one might certainly expect a fair bit of difference, magically and culturally, given their very different origins. Similar enough to appear in the same cult write-up, granted.

Having said all this, I suspect that Basmoli aren't particularly lionine. After all, they're not even remotely the right hue, are they? Not a promising start.

Alex.