Voria, Trivia

From: Nick Brooke <100270.337_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 21 Dec 94 03:45:29 EST

Pam:

> Voria could have secret powers, forgotten and overlooked by the
> priestesses and the godis....

Yep, very much so! This was the crux of an old, old story about the Seven Mothers I was trying to write many years ago: Teelo Norri (as a child off the streets of Torang, in what I then thought to be an Earth-worshipping, "typical-Pelorian" region) using a simple Voria Temple chant to complete their botched Resurrection. Not by plan (she wasn't on their side, after all): but it was all the religion she had, and things were getting pretty stressful down in Hell.

I quite agree about the usefulness of nativity plays, mystery plays, etc. as good models for Gloranthan ritual. Robert Graves is good on this kind of thing as source for myth. Greg has written up an account of the Torang Nativity, but that is pretty damn' impressive compared to local churches.

BTW, if there is a Lunar nativity play, the myth of the Chorus of Animals is pretty easily explained: though it takes their parents *hours* to make the costumes!

Trivia Quiz:

In the real world, I studied ancient and mediaeval history at Oxford and now work as an accountant with one of the Big Six UK firms. When I'm not slaving full-time for the Reaching Moon Megacorp and associated hangers- on, that is. I love Glorantha because it's there, and because it's still flexible enough that there's room to be creative. In this respect I find it unlike more "creator-driven" worlds like Tekumel or Tolkien's work: ignoring the crappier bits becomes an acceptable choice, not blasphemous heresy!

Everything written about Glorantha should be used as a springboard, not a millstone: when Peter M. said "Here's an idea that I personally dislike, but my interpretation of what's in print *forces* me to use it," he was demonstrating where the flip-side of my approach gets you...

Nick