Yelmalio, with a side of myth

From: Argrath_at_aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 1994 22:16:21 -0500

Shannon Appel says:
>Chalana Arroy as a composite cult? interesting. I'd always
>just assumed that Chalana was an Arroin worshipper who made a
>big enough name for herself that people started to worship her
>as a god. Chalana the Arroin.

Equally plausible.

Pam Carlson says:
>Martin - I liked your Yelmalio synopsis for Codex. It seems as
>valid a summary as any, and hard to find much fault with.
>USEFUL too!

High praise, indeed.

Peter Metcalfe points out:
>Given that your suggestion requires an ordeal of hot coals to be
>undergone by the accused or plantiff this is a bit extreme for a
>dispute over cattle. Who gets to hold the coals in such a case?
>The one who doesn't say 'Bags Not Me!' first? :)

LOL. First of all, you don't use a divine spell for a cattle dispute unless there are *lots* of cattle involved. Second, the spell won't hurt you if your cause is just. <utterly straight face> So why be afraid? And the person who asked the judge to intervene is the one who has to ... er, gets to hold the hot coals. That's better than the early Germanic/Anglo-saxon practice, whereby if the defendant got acquitted the plaintiff suffered the penalty which would have befallen the defendant if he had been found guilty. "Say, Yngvar, why is your tongue nailed to that tree?"

Brian B.D. Pinch says (BTW, nice .sig):
>My understanding was that Chalana Arroy was the mother of Arroin
>and a deity in her own right. As for a composite cult, there is
>supposed to be a shrine in each temple of Chalana Arroy. Arroin
>is still respected in his own right (although broken by Chaos)
>in that he originally taught peoples the non-magical healing
>skills such as first aid, refine medicine etc.

Well, that's certainly what _Cults of Prax_ says. I think it adds MGF if C.A. is a composite, with a typically genealogical myth tacked on to make it work. (Note the disparaging remark in the long Hykim write-up from Heroes about how Hykim is often an explanatory link, and another remark in one of the WF's (I'll look it up if you want) about how the GL's wanted to make sure every god had a father and mother).

Note that this is more than an academic exercise only if traces of the pre-GL separate cults are discoverable in present-day Glorantha. Which I think they are: Arroin among the Elves, Khalana in Imther.

>Anyway, I'd like to hear a story of how the god-learners created
>the composite cult of Chalana Arroy if anyone could oblige.
Maybe after I get my hands on the Dara Happan Book of Emperors.

                            ---===---

Loren, Harald Smith has some good ideas about the origins of gargoyles. He and Peter Michaels and I thrashed that issue out some time back in email.
                            ---===---

I said:
>I propose that all Gloranthan cults with double (and triple)
>names (with the exceptions noted below) are composites of the
>God Learners: Daka Fal, Lhankor Mhy, Argan Argar, Ty Kora Tek,
>etc.

To which Sandy objected:
> I object. While some of these may be, this is not
>necessarily a universal principle. For that matter, we know of
>some composite gods that they created that were not given
>multiple names.

     Some A's are B's. But some not-A's are B's, too. Thus, B is not a subset of A. Never said it was.

     As we refine this theory in the hot crucible of the Digest, let me propose this: two hallmarks of composite cults are (1) double name, and (2) genealogical rationalization. Chalana Arroy shows both. Ernalda shows only (2). You called my bluff on Ty Kora Tek: I think her name probably is partly title, maybe all title. Something like "Scary Old Lady." Clearly, her worshipers tend to be people with their own vision (freudian typo for version) of consensual reality.

                            ---===---

Donald Walli:
You absolutely must have the Humakt write-up from Tales of the Reaching Moon #5. There's also a short bit by yours truly in #6.