Richard's way to the crown, Trivia

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_sartar.toppoint.de>
Date: Thu Mar 20 10:05:02 1997

Jeff Richard

> 1. My fine party of troublesome raider-merchants from the highlands of the
> Kingdom of the Colymar have been convinced by their Vingan Volsaxi
> associate that King Broyan is a smashing chap who might actually appreciate
> the group's fervant anti-Lunar activities so much that he might let them
> swear loyalty to his household and serve as retainers. The year is early
> 1617, the Pharoah has disappeared and all hell is breaking loose in
> Heortland.

> Has anybody done any work on the first campaign of Sir Richard the
> Tigerhearted (1617-1618) or related subjects in Heortland? I recall Joerg
> being quite the expert on that subject (and indeed on many subjects of
> interest).

I have indeed prepared some material on Richard's proceedings in Heortland, my campaign being a year behind that: it's 1616, and the Pharaoh is (yet) alife and kicking. King Owain has invited the flashy Western mercenary captain and his knights from the dull desert outpost Knight Fort to his court.

In my campaign, Mularik Ironeye is a Lieutenant of Richard the Tigerhearted, and he will become his deputy for Jansholm and the northern reaches after Richard has proven himself as the "rightful" king of the Hendr(e)iki. The takeover itself occurred in a small number of skirmishes with other contestors and their minor retinues, most of the action consisted of mustering small armies and showing presence, attracting or losing supporters. The campaign is situated at the northern outskirt of Malkonwal to be, and the theme will be the growing unrest versus the Rokari influence. (Source of inspiration is among others Walter Scott's "Ivanhoe".)

However, a lot of my campaign material is _very_ different from the information in John Castellucci's Siege of Whitewall, in the (otherwise excellent as usual) RQ-Adventures #4. The Orshanti clan still holds out in the hills adjacent to the southern parts of the Troll Woods, shown to be the Stone Wood also above the ridge of the footprint on John's map, and a few remaining Karandoli clansmen and others hold out in the Syphon River. Jansholm is the northern boundary of the Hendriki kingdom towards the Volsaxi and Kitori, Backford is more a border town than a heap of barracks, and too small to house organized crime other than the secret local Krarshti network (if not here, where else?).

One element of debate is the actual form and abundance of the Aeolian creed. In my campaign they are quite common among the populace of the coastal plateau and the cities, less common along the lower hills, and quasi non-existant in the foothills of Storm Mountains.

One interesting NPC I came up with is Findilas Beastwise, a Lhankor Mhy sage from Backford specialized on Godtime biology, and a rabid collector of fossilized fauna from the Stonewood. The PCs had gone astray in the Stonewood after a Krarshtkid assault felling several stone trees. After a few hungry days they encountered Findilas and his escort of hired Storm Bull berserks (from the minor temple at the southern end of the mouth of the Print) and permanent Humakti guards.

Trivia:

I am a 30-year-old-to-be, 2m tall chemist just moving to northern Norway (again) to run the laboratory of a pure quartz refinery. I started creating fantastic worlds about 1972, discovered Tolkien in 1978, roleplaying in late 1984, RuneQuest in 1988 and Glorantha in 1990, during my first stay in Norway. I got net access in 1992 and started pestering the Daily quite soon. In October 1992 I debuted as editor for Free INT, the magazine of the German RuneQuest-society. I became one of the chairmen of the society in 1993. After a year of debates on Glorantha I started to run a first campaign on it when I encountered RQ4:AiG playtesting. That's the Heortland campaign I mentioned above. Apart from my RQ/Glorantha-activities, my hobbies include other gaming, archery, reading, music, languages and history. Ongoing Glorantha projects are a complete text index and encyclopaedia on published Glorantha info (thanks to a few helpers and a lot of work done by Roderick Robertson I reckon I'm one third through the project), a now interrupted campaign and background development in Heortland, scenarios for Dragon Pass, and a vague idea to run a HeroQuesty thing via email, due to lack of gamers north of the arctic circle. Any RQ/Glorantha gamers who happen to visit the Westfjord area are invited to drop in at Drag i Tysfjord, after notifying me via email.