Re: Merry Christmas

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idcube.idsoftware.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 94 14:26:34 -0600

Where is the Australian Fauna in Glorantha?

        I don't think it's Slon. I'd look for an island somewhere to set such stuff upon. Perhaps one or more of the Jrusteli isles, or one of the larger East Isles. You don't need an area as large as Australia, seeing as most of Oz is taken up by (ecologically simpler) desert. The cool part, with tree kangaroos, etc., is mostly along the east coast. Another possibility are the insect islands, off the coast of Fonrit. While the native intelligent life of these islands are timinits, this doesn't mean there can't be all sorts of other things as well. And despite the timinit presence, I've never thought of those islands as being primarily inhabited by giant insects.

Peter Metcalfe:
>My understanding is that a long time [ago] several species of giant
>carnivorus lizards (larger than a komodo dragon) existed in
>Australia

        The largest I know of was around 40 feet long, In addition, there was at least one species of land crocodile (built for running, not swimming). But there were mammalian predators, too. Still, no one nowadays would mistake a huge monitor lizard for a dinosaur. Get real.

Loren M.
> I think the way the super gifts and geasa that Sandy described
>would be best handled in RQ by requiring subcult membership

Alex F.
>I don't think this is a good ... mechanism for the sort of geasa
>Sandy suggested. The problem would be they don't avoid the "suicide
>bomber" effect;

        I suggest that in order to take one of the mega-geasa, you must meet fairly stringent requirements. For instance, to take the

GIFT: "I swear to kill Alex Ferguson, root and branch." not only do you receive the rather alarming GEAS: "I shall die, accomplishing this task." but also you must first prove that Alex Ferguson is dishonorable, a liar, and a non-kinsman. The third may not be too tough, but the first two, you might have to work at -- it's not just a matter of finding witnesses -- I propose that you must sucker Alex into performing a dishonorable act, and a lie, in your presence.

        In addition, some of the geasa might require a number of Humakti to take them at once. One suicide bomber may not be hard to find, but fifteen might be another matter. Also, perhaps only Swords can take certain geasa, etc.