Various threads...

From: Peter Metcalfe, CAPE Canty <CHEN190_at_cantva.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 1995 15:02:58 +0000

Urine Posts:

Two more posts?

ARRGGGH! Quit pissing round, guys!

RQ Con II:

What was the Autopsy result on the Only Old One?

Sandy:

[Minor quibbles about florish deleted]

>In addition, there is no evidence that any of these Nysalorian cults
>possessed anything like Illumination, whereas there _is_ evidence
>that the Red Goddess brought back some secret power from Gbaji just
>before her apotheosis.

Pssst! Watch your tongue! The Goddess brought back secrets from _Nysalor_. Say that again next time and it's Danfive Xaron Gulag for you! Anyway I said something of this sort in the previous post.

>I maintain that the secrets of Illumination as
>now understood were spotty and rare during the Second Age.

I agree on the basics here but quibble as to how 'spotty and rare' Illumination was in the Second Age.

[Sandy reckoned that Yelm was suffering from the effects of the Lunar Empire.]

>>Spare us the Dara Happan Nobles laments. Yelm wasn't worshipped at
>>the Dawn and nobody managed to speak to him until 350 _years_ later,
> What? This is an outright falsehood. Yelm was certainly
>worshipped at the dawn. The horse nobles were all Yelm worshipers,
>for one thing.

The Horse Nomads worshipped Kargzant, the Wandering Sun, at the Dawn. Later they managed to transfer their loyalties to Yelm but I think this wasn't done until Sheng's time. Anyway doesn't the above contradict your belief that Gods don't need worship? It's the traditional Yelm Cult that may be suffering but who cares?

>>Besides Kralorela has a perfectly adequate cult for worshipping Yelm
>>without hereditary lines of succesion
> Sez who? The Kralori method requires a hereditary Son of the
>Sun for its operation. Though most members need not be the child of a
>Sun worshiper, the priests and rulers have to be. It's really just a
>variation on the Kralori Emperor cult, in which vast numbers of
>peasants contribute magic points for the benefit of a third party.

The Rulers in Kralorela are the Mandarins and they sit an exam. As for the Priesthood required to be hereditary, I say this is a historical artefact introduced by the God Learners who didn't know any better.