Re: Praxian Reptiles

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 1995 12:07:12 +0800

I dare to mildly disagree with Sandy on the his reply to a question about the possible existence of big Eirithan snakes -

> Perhaps true back in the ancient times before Genert was
>KOed. I'm not sure that most of the Praxians nowadays think of the
>Earth as being Reptilian in nature. That's more a Theyalan thing. I
>would surmise that the Praxian feeling is that Herbivore = Earth,
>Carnivore = Darkness.

While I agree with the general Herbivore = Earth idea, the carnivore = darkness is far less clear.

        But I specifically would like to agree that there are Eirithran big snakes. The Paps are guarded (in Nomad Gods, and mentioned other places) by the serpent guardians. From memory the serpent guardians are snakes with the heads of human women, led by a woman with a snakes head. Or maybe the other way around. They breath some sort of sleeping gas. Steve Perrin (?) wrote them up for RQ around WF5 or so.

        Ronance (the god who grants the spell that lets you find oases, whose only known temple is at the Paps) is also accompanied by snakes.

        Also - the Bolo Lizard folk are descended from the Tada-shi, the old Golden Age Earth folk of Prax.

        So - I think that while the earth = reptile connection is not something that is much used by the current Eirithra cult (except among the Bolo Lizard folk, of course), most of the Eirithra cultists would be aware that reptiles are sacred to the Earth, and that the Golden Age Earth cults had lots of sacred reptiles. In fact, as reptiles are so uncommon, they probably treat them as fairly sacred (its harder to treat something as sacred if you see it everyday).

        Cheers
                Dave Cake