Republic of Rome

From: Nick Brooke <100270.337_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 26 Feb 95 11:41:40 EST

MOB writes, of Avalon Hill's "Republic of Rome" boardgame,

> ... it is the *roleplaying* elements of this boardgame that make it so
> much fun.

Interestingly enough, the game's authors went to fanatical extremes (in the rulebook, and in the Republic of Rome issue of "The General") to deny there was any similarity between their dead-serious political simulation and a mere roleplaying game!

> Last time we played my mate Trev got videos of various tits'n'togas
> epics (Spartacus, Ben Hur, and the biggest of 'em all, Cleopatra), and
> we played them in the background while the game went on.

We went one better, playing a game while on holiday in Rome with Italian late-night television running in the background. By about three a.m. our Empire was truly in its decadent phase, as even Cato the Censor's eyes drifted more often to the on-screen antics of the dancing-girls than to our life-and-death struggle with Carthage...

Nick