Nurturers and Nunneries

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 1995 13:35:55 +1300

Frederic Ferro:

>> I presume by Poliads you mean cities (Polis)

>Not exactly, I simply meant City Gods (i.e. Yuthu, Raban, Alkos) like Hera for
>Argos. The mothers of the "Triplet" Poliads seem to be Earth Goddesses like
>Dendara or Pelora.

Ah! A real can of worms you have opened up there. Each city has a local Earth Goddess who are commonly refered to as the nuturer of [city]. The Male Counterpart is refered to as 'Blessing the [City]'. Then there is the City God itself.

YUTHUPPA: The City God is said to be Yuthu in the Genertela Book. The Blesser is Buserian the First Priest and the Nurterer of Yuthuppa is Thilla. Thilla's grain appears to be roots and tubers such as potatoes, sweet potato, etc. So Yuthu looks like the son of Buserian and Thilla? Hahaha. If only Greg were that simple. Yuthuppa was founded by Emperor Anaxial after the Flood and the name Yuthu is not attested to anywhere as a specific god in the newly released Dara Happan Writings (the Glorious ReAscent and the Fortunate Succession). Yuthuppa itself is translated as Ship of God, meaning the Ark in which Anaxial sailed in and based the City upon. So Yuthu means God in Dara Happan. Yuthu is stated in the Genertela Book as being active shortly before the Dawn. Now the Dara Happans have funny ideas on when the Dawn actually started (due to an Emperor's Colossal Ego) so this could have been circa 111 ST. My personal feeling is that Yuthu is the Yuthuppan name for Antirius, the Solar God who protected Dara Happa after Yelm was killed. Antirius (who features prominently in the GRAY and the FS) is said to be one of the Fragments of Yelm in which case he has no mother.

RAIBANTH: The God of this city, Raiba (aka Raibamus, Raibamuth) is known to be the Son of Murharzarm. His mother is said to be by the Nobility and the Priests, Dareeshena, whereas the Commoners know that his mother was actually Everina, the Rice Goddess (NOT the same goddess as the Kralorelan Rice Mother or Krala BTW!). Dareeshena is little worshipped in Dara Happa.

ALKOTH: The God of this city is Alkoth. He was, IMO, the incarnation of Shargash (The Planet Tolat) upon Earth which leads to the Dara Happans remembering him as the son of the said god (this is just their jargon). Confusing! The Nurturer of this City is BisEnslib whose main feature is that her legs are long and uncovered because she works in a paddy field. What her relation to Alkoth or Shargash is, I don't know.

>Is Nestendos the Blue Dragon of the Orlanthi myth whose wings are the Rockwood
>Mountains, head is Dragon's Eye and spine the Oslir ?

Nestendos was the Blue Dragon mentioned in King of Sartar. There is no Dragon with the wings of the Rockwoods, Spine of the Oslir etc. The EWF tried to _make_ the Grand Dragon from the Oslir, Rockwoods etc in the belief that the resulting output of Draconic Forces would bring about the Golden Age.

>What is the myth behind the name of Jaldon's Wrong River ?

Something like the Charge of the Light Brigade, I suppose. 'Attack the dragon by the River'. Jaldon charges for the Grand Dragon by another river (later known as his Wrong River) and gets slaughtered as a result.

>Are the Thunderstones used by the Eolian Slingers related to the Orlanthi
>Thunderstones ? Did the Storm God fought in the Thunder Delta during the
>Gods'War ?

I don't know but IMO they are not the same stones. Orlanth did not fight in the Thunder delta as far as I'm aware. (Stormfall where the Storm Gods answered the call of the North Wind was to the North). There are plenty of other Storm Gods in Dara Happa: Lanatum, Dorburdon, Vadrus (who appears to come from Saird) and possibly Rebellus Terminus. Any of these could have contributed to the Thunderstones.

Alex Ferguson:

David Boatright:
>>> the Monastery [...], the Nunnery [...] Both are at the edge of the
>>> Aranwyth land's.

Peter Metcalfe:
>>The hypothesis about the Sisters of Mercy Temple is confirmed from a map of
>>Sartar in Wyrms Footprints (on the edge of Battle Valley). I can't comment on
>>the other two places as Sartar is my strongest point. Alex?

Alex responds:
>Sadly, I haven't seen the map in question, and have no Inside Information
>as to what these places might be. If Monastery and Nunnery are near to
>each other, as David seems to suggest, then maybe the idea was to have a
>Sisters of Mercy "Nunnery" and an Arroin "Monastery", but that seems
>odd in the light of current understanding of Challanan sexual mores, as
>does the very word Nunnery.

Not really given the uses of the Nunnery in ages past. When Hamlet says 'Get Thee to a Nunnery' to Ophelia, he is actually telling her to become a prostitute. I suspect these names are really lunar jokes and that the Nunnery is a brothel and the Monastory sounds like where the Catamites hang out. The association with Chalana Arroy and Arroin merely compounds the joke for the Lunars.