Minor matters

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 1995 13:00:01 +1300

Nick Hollingsworth:

>What Is It To Be Uz:

>Can anyone point me to something that expressed Uz 'otherness'.

Trolls don't have essential differences in personality compared with humans. The Trolls are CRUDE. A human will take the effort to be civilized and adopt social mores but a Troll doesn't really see the point.

Camo:

[on the subject of illuminated chaotics touching truestone]

>The fact that it's a dumb piece of rock is exactly why I _would_ think it
>would burn them. How is the rock supposed to know the chaotic is illuminated.
>I don't want to get into the potential "science" of the chemical reaction (or
>magical reaction or whatever) between Truestone touching a chaotic but it
>doesn't seem to me that illumination would make a difference.

One piece of gloranthan lore: Arkat (Illuminated) and the Unbreakable Sword (Adamant - made of refined truestone). Personally I think being Chaotic is a mental attitude that allows you to transcend the physical laws of the universe. A Chaotic feature is not chaotic intrinsically, but rather a mark of your exposure to the Power of Primal Chaos.

Mike Cule:

Wrote a piece on illumination:

>.... And you can break cult laws without breaking your link
>with the god. Formal excommunication by a living priest is the only wayto get
>you out of the cult then.

I'm not really sure that excommunication can actually break the link with the god. IMO, it really only works on those who are inactive or sacreligious (as per RQIII rules). But an Illuminate can never get into such a state. The Priest would need stronger methods to deal with the Illuminate (Sunspear, Thunderbolt, Cold Steel and Sever Spirit are my favs).

Joerg Baumgartner:

>I don't know whether Glorantha has a magnetic pole, though I seem to
>recall that compass needles point to Magasta's Pool (where the Spike once
>was). No idea what the compass needles would be made of, though...

Sun County: The Needles are made of Tin. Given Dayzatar's (or more pedantically Zrethus's) connection with Tin, I infer that the Needle does not point to Magasta's pool but to the Location of Dayzatar's Eye.