Re: the Goddess Switch

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 95 14:54:25 -0500

>BONUS QUESTION: What goddesses were involved with the Goddess >Switch?

        I have always believed that one of them was the land goddess of Slontos.

Dan McCluskey
>Matriarchy and KL Worship "instinctive"? I am afraid that I mus
>dissagree whole heartedly.

        Alas.

>Are Orlanthi genetically predisposed to Shout at each other till
the >small hours of the morning?

        No. Human culture is plainly not instinctive.

>Their culture is certainly as complete as any human culture, it
>is just OLD.

        Troll culture is not "incomplete". If anything, the hereditary nature of it makes it more powerful and effective.

>I Believe that MGF dictates that the Uz are monsters because their
>goals conflict with Ours, not because they are inherently "Bad"

        Surely you aren't saying that me, Sandy Petersen, famed troll apologist, three times chairman of the International Troll Anti-Defamation League, said that trolls were inherently "bad".

WHY SANDY THINKS TROLL CULTURE IS INSTINCTIVE

  1. All dark trolls and all snow trolls speak Darktongue, mutually intelligible despite individual cultures being separated as far as western Pamaltela and the Kingdom of Ignorance. Such consistency is more than just conservatism. Hot trolls, a different species, _do_ speak a different language (Shadowspeech), but all hot trolls speak this throughout Pamaltela.
  2. All troll cultures, not just dark trolls, but hot trolls and snow trolls, too, worship Kyger Litor as the center of their faith. There exist troll tribes where practically all the tribe also worship some other entity (examples: the Kitori and Argan Argar; most hot trolls and Moorgarki), but this other entity is always worshiped _in addition_ to Kyger Litor. Even if the other deity has risen to enormous importance in everyday life, and its temple far outshadows the KL shrines, Kyger Litor is still there, and still universal. Universal, not just ubiquitous.
  3. Trolls live in vastly different situations worldwide. The trolls of the Troll Woods, the Kingdom of Ignorance, the Tarmo Mountains, and Jrustela live in about as variable climates and ecologies as are imaginable, keeping in mind the limitations of the troll physique. But they all have remarkably similar social structures. I have other reasons, too, but not enough time to list them here.