Mermen, Lanbril and Sorcery

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 20:57:35 +1200

Tim Ellis:

>Further to the recent discussion here on awakened fish and cetaceans, I was
>wondering, how do such creatures regard their fixed int relatives? Are they
>just an unintelligent species (like herdmen?) or will they develop intelligence
>either in this life, or as part of a buddhist-like re-incarnation cycle? Do
>they see themselves as the `pioneers' of intelligence for their species (One
>day All of You will be able to think like me!) or the last remenants of a once
>powerful empire (As seems to be the case with the Baboons). This would
>presumably have an effect on how they treated their non-intelligent cousins.

The Mermen view about such things is stated in the Monomyth as 'Divine sea beings develop into lesser, semidivine, beings and then into the mortal races, the way a river running backwards is divided upstream into smaller and smaller portions'. Book 5 of RQIII mentions that when merspeices bred between a blessed and a normal member, the offspring is always normal. I imagine this would hold true for intelligent fish and ceteceans as well. Thus the intelligent sea creatures would see themselves as the last remants of a time when things were more magical. Their offspring are more often than not Fixed INT depending on whom they procreate with. A fish or cetecean may be awakened to Full INT but this is a rare occurence. This may sound depressing, but mercultures are all a gloomy lot in Glorantha: their gods go down the drains every day and it shows....

Erik Sieurin:

I had written why Aldryami had High intelligence was that it represented their affinity with the Spirit world, in that they can know more spirit magic. Erik extended this extrapolation with:

>Does this affinity also mean that they remember things better (high
>Idea rolls) because they can use the memories of the spirits?
>That they learn things quicker (high bonuses on many skill
>categories)because they are helped by spirits?
>(No, I'm not sarcastic. I actually like the general idea, which ties
>in with Sandy's "tap into Aldrya's consciousness" which came later.)

I couldn't have put it better myself. Everybody knows that Elves are usually tripping out on several types of 'green' daily (via Elfsense) so they have great difficulty telling where their physical bodies actually end...

David Cake:

[on the Lanbril Cult]

>>I would dump all the silly gizmos and alchemy schtick for starters.

> Well, I can believe that they exist. They are silly, but since when
>has that been a good reason why it shouldn't exist in Glorantha? But I think
>they are more likely specialties of particular famous master thieves or
>ringleaders, occasionally imitated by cultists able to learn the details.

I don't like the idea of the alchemical stuff being the exclusive intellectual property of the Lanbril Cult(tm). Items such as Scentstop dust, smoke bombs, Dust of Death etc seem to me to be more appropiate in a Safelstran context (cf Darklands for some excellent ideas), Vormain (Land of the Ninja) or Mostali etc than a barbrain thief cult in the Gloranthan Equivalent of Gaul under the yoke of the Romans. It _jars_. And _Famous_ Master Thieves and Ringleaders usually end up being exiled or dead IMO...

As for the items like the whumper, magic chirper et al., my main objection to them is that it offends my sensibilities. I'm sure artificers in the Holy Country and the Lunar Empire have better things to do with their time then craft ludicrous thingyjigs for some illiterate barbarian who makes his living robbing grannies. It would be far better IMO for Lanbril Cultists to be making use of magical and/or special items stolen from others like a Dwarf Assault Ladder pilfered from the Armoury...

Tim Torres:

>2. I'm still troubled by the Sorcery rules. Does anyone have a sorcerer
>PC (created in the course of normal game play) or a PC who uses sorcery
>extensively?

Sorcery rules have been a bit of a problem. Have you tried looking at Sandy's Sorcery Rules on either Loren's Web Page? This would give a better feel on how to integrate sorcerers into society. Also available is Tales #13 which details the Rokari and Hrestoli Church as well as some proposals by the AiG team to revamp it. Not exactly what you asked for, I know, but the RQIII rules are broken IMO.

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #136