Ralios and Aeolian in the Dictionary...

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 1995 20:49:21 +1300

Justin Akkerman:

>If you are looking for RW ethinic cleansing look no further than the
>Brotherhood of the Sword and The Teutonic Knights.

An example I was thinking I had in mind for Ralios but edited out in my Ralios posting. More specifically I was thinking of the Teutonic attempts to expand beyond the Vistula? River before getting their arses kicked at the Battle of Tanneburg for the Rokari actions against the more Wild regions of Ralios (e.g. north of the City of Valantia which sparked off this discussion of ethnic cleansing).

>All you need to apply this to Glorantha is for one side to have a slight
>edge over the other, a religious axe to grind and geography to exploit. Were
>these Rokari using super heavy knights ? Were the slain people ill equipped
>irregular Orlanthi ?

The Rokari under Bailifes had successfully invoked the Power of the Crusade (described in ToTRM#13) against the Ralians. This transforms the average crusader into fanatics who can scare the pants of a storm bull. The people Balifies crusaded against are IMO not ill-equipped irregular Orlanthi but more akin to the old Seshnelan Chivalry intermixed with pagan gods seamlessly worshipped as Saintly Cults. This availed them little against a successful crusade.

The major problem here we face is that the only source for the Third Age of Ralios is Trollpak which mentions the Saga of Retter the Stalker, Duke of Delela. An important country mentioned here is the Kingdom of Jorstland which is missing in the Ralios writeup. The AH Trollpak reprint wasted a Golden Opportunity to rewrite the text in light of what was known in G:CotHW. I assume that when Balifies conquered Ralios, he left Jorst as Governer-General of Sentanos. Jorst became only a nominal vassal of Seshnela but was still a devout Crusader who tried make Sentanos a bastion of Rokarism. After Retter's death, I think Jorst was killed in a revolt and Sentanos returned to the traditional ralian henothiesm.

Michael C. Morrison:

Peter:
>> Aeolian is not a normal
>> english word.

>Maybe not, but it is in the dictionary -- look up Aeolian harp (a kind
>of wind harp).

OK!! OK!! OK!!!

I screwed up in saying 'normal' instead of 'common'. Happy now?