Re: Harrek the Bald...

From: Robert McArthur <mcarthur_at_fit.qut.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 11:03:25 +1000 (EST)

> >(2). How on Glorantha did he knobble the Polar Bear god? I mean I know he's
> >an experienced and lethal dart competitor and I know he's a natural for
> >spotting weakness on the hero or god plane but this is a God we are talking
> >here.
>
> Pshaw. 'God' is a rhetorical flourish here. The Polar Bear God is a
> spirit worshipped by the Rathori. It's not as if Harrek killed Valind,
> Yelm, Mostal or other Elemental dieties. As for how Harrek managed to
> kill the Polar Bear God, Nick's Harrek the Dreamer hypothesis is the best
> explanation I've heard. Simply stated, Harrek had heaps of experience
> with Heroquesting from all the 'dry-runs' he did whilst sleeping under
> the ban. When he starts really Heroquesting, he knows all the stuff
> instinctively.

From old notes by Steve Perrin, the God may have seen what was coming and allowed it to happen.

Harreck's poetry (from Greg's Gl. Encyclopedia):

	Three trails have I run, to their end:
	The trail to Vengence, which ended when Dorlav Greeneye died;
	The trail to Herodom, which ended when the Strong Man yielded to me;
	The trail to History, which ended when Harlav was born.
	But two thing are not finished in my life:
	Debts to true friends;
	And my hatred for the foul Empire.

Not too bad for a thug. Perhaps he's the thinking hero's thug <wide :-)>

Robert McArthur