Re: Centaurs in Errontree

From: Argrath_at_aol.com
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 1995 22:31:06 -0500

In a message dated 95-11-27 00:00:19 EST, Peter Metcalfe responds to me:

>>Errontree has a colony of centaurs who support the Aldryami as cavalry.
>Shouldn't this be the Forested Kanthor's Isles where the Centaurs are?
>Erontree is on the other side of the Tapping Brithini of Arolanit.
>Erontree appears to be one of the more 'normal' Elf Forests around.
>They are fighting over the Fornoar Valley being the usual Elder Races
>conflict plus Brithini thrown in.

Well, the Centaurs are polyphyletic, so we don't have to assume a common origin with the Seshnelan centaurs and the problems that may entail. I don't know how they got there; I say they're there because I played in Mike Dawson's Errontree campaign and they were there. Great poetic names like Snow Falling Through Barren Trees. I didn't get to play one, but I had a name picked out, an actual Ndembu name I stole from Clifford Geertz's _Forest of Symbols_: Kusaloka Mutondu Wakedilanga Mutondu Wawa'njinga Namayanayanga (Sleeping Restlessly, the Tree which Produces Fruits All the Time, the Tree for Njinga birds and for Trumpeter Hornbills). "Kusaloka" for short.

      As for "normalcy," I don't that that means much with Aldryami. And even if it did, I don't find a centaur alliance at all abnormal.