CARDS 5: GIFT AND GAME CARDS

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_spirit.com.au>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 1995 14:38:25 +1000

CONTINUED FROM PART FOUR GIFTING CARDS Gifting Cards represent the treasures of the land and their inner meanings. They are aids and helpers on the quest.

(In my campaign, most of the important artefacts of the region have been taken into the wilderness by the Odaylans at various times, hidden, and promptly forgotten. Its a hunter kind of thing...)

The bad Orlanthi poetry is bad Orlanthi poetry.

The Shields of Odayla are Great Treasures/Creatures/Resources/Secrets which uphold and protect the land. Vidblain is the Wide Dark, the Godtime gors and gallt of Far Point. The Three Treasures of Vidblain not mentioned here are probably in Alda Chur, and held by the Solars. [Boo Hiss.] Some items are well known to me and to my players, and will have a large part to play in our developing campaign. Some I know little about beyond what is on the cards. At least we're thinking about them...

88. The Four Stream Voices

The First Shield of Odayla.

"Powerful and Wise

Reflecting only Truth
Turtle, Teal, Otter, Foam Eagle
Eternal Watchers, Guardians."

89. The Spear "Courage"

The Second Shield of Odayla.
One of the Ten Treasures of Vidblain.

"Won from Storm-Kin

Chaos Breaker
Its power is Calling the Clans."

90. The Cloak "Persistence"

The Third Shield of Odayla.
One of the Ten Treasures of Vidblain.

"Warp of Deep Snow

Weft of Hard Rock
Hunter's Friend
Skin Deep and Blue."

91. Three Feathers of Vision

The Fourth Shield of Odayla.
One of the Ten Treasures of Vidblain.

"Won from Hard Earth

Lost now to Men
Rock and Air and Dark as One."

92. The Thunder Bird's Nest

The Fifth Shield of Odayla.
One of the Ten Treasures of Vidblain.

"Rocky Height,

Storm Hold.
Breath and Wrath,
Feathers Hide the Sun.

93. Theya's Dance

The Sixth Shield of Odayla.

"Circle of Peace

Circle of Healing
Strength of Storm
Wisdom of Earth."

94. The Orm Sword

The Seventh Shield of Odayla.
One of the Ten Treasures of Vidblain.

"Toothaxe' Prize

Wood Thane's Secret
Worthy of A God
Waiting for its Time."

95. The Mask of the RidgeLeaper

The Eighth Shield of Odayla.

"Power and Will

Audacious and Grasping,
LagerTarn's Prisoner
Peace in the Land."

96. The Dragon Seed

The Ninth Shield of Odayla.
One of the Ten Treasures of Vidblain.

"Steads Cut From Stone

Treachery Rank
Waiting Beneath
Called Out Of Sleep."

97. The Staff of Justice

The Tenth Shield of Odayla.
One of the Ten Treasures of Vidblain.

"Voice of the Tribes

Peace of the King
Carved from the Life-Tree
Ironspike's Pride."

98. Jumping Mouse

A Vision of the Sacred Mountains.

99. River Eagle

The Leader's Voice.
The Warrior's Example.

  1. Earth Serpent

A Secret Shared.

  1. Bearded Raven

Word of a Death.

  1. Cave Bear

A Vision of the Godplane.

  1. Auroch

The Gift of Virility.

  1. Mother Hare

The Great Leap.

  1. The Spindle

A Weaving of Threads.

  1. The Coloured Oxhide

A Gift of Uleria.

  1. The Whip

An Unpleasant Truth.

GAME CARDS Game Cards relate to foibles and weaknesses, to experiencing strong emotions, to storytelling technique and to character insight. The mix and number of cards will depend on your campaign style.

108-112. Shadow (5 cards)

"The Great Below

The Wound Within
The Blocked Stream
The Bag of Burdens
The Weight of the Past."

[When a Shadow card is played a character is enveloped by a negative aspect of their personality or ideals. Its an internal trial that must be endured to win through to insight and growth].

113-117. Flashback (5 cards)

"The Past Relived

Seeds of the Present
Origin of the Burden
Power of Ancestors."

[A Flashback card takes the character back to a situation that reflects on the present. Its a roleplaying technique to help share a character's inner story with the entire group, and is usually enacted with the GM's assistance. It may involve a number of characters or be a brief exercise in character storytelling.
(Resentful Arson plays card and cues Flashback: "I remember, when we were initiated, how Borghil was first with the honour cup... Cue: Borghil (Improvising, and following Arson's lead) "I was the best and greatest". etc. )

118-122. Will (5 cards)

"Power of Courage

Power of Love
Vision of the Hero
Glimpse of the
Great Above."

[In playing a Will Card, a character signals they have learnt something or have found internal or external resources that allow definite and strong action and change. With a Will Card, an 18 Coward can charge the massing broo without the need of a trait check.]

123-127. Insight (5 cards)

"The Past Regained

A Myth Understood
A Memory Honoured
The Voice of the Gors."

Playing an insight card allows a character to change their direction or way of thinking. It may as simple as understanding the inner meaning of a myth or ceremony ("We weren't supposed to catch it - that's the idea - we're supposed to FAIL") or as dramatic as converting from Orlanth to Yelmalio (Sigh, a common Far Point occurrence, that.).

128-132. Passion (5 cards)

"Raging Waters

White Deer on the Mountain
Heart Seeing
The Touch of a Spirit."

[Invoke, gain or be consumed by a passion, emotion, person or idea.]

  1. Old Man

"The Face in the Water

Honouring the Breath
Counsel & Courage."

[Recognise, invoke and honour the old man in your soul. Experience an aspect of yourself that has been dormant].

  1. Old Woman

"The Face in the Water

Honouring the Blood
Counsel & Wisdom."

[Recognise, invoke and honour the old woman in your soul. Experience an aspect of yourself that has been dormant].

  1. Boy Child

"The Face in the Water

Honouring the Limbs
Innocence & Curiosity."

[Recognise, invoke and honour the boy child in your soul. Experience an aspect of yourself that has been dormant].

  1. Girl Child

"The Face in the Water

Honouring the Heart
Innocence & Joy."

[Recognise, invoke and honour the girl child in your soul. Experience an aspect of yourself that has been dormant].

137-140 Myth (4 cards)

"A Wind in the Gors

Voice of the Gods
True Seeing
The World *Resonates*."

[Not necessarily myth in the narrow sense, but a strong experience of meaning and purpose, an experience that profoundly moves you. As the Odaylans say, "Everything has meaning. That's how tracking works."]

141-144. Ceremony (4 cards)

"Honour the Mountain

Dancing Seasons
True Being
The World *Connects*."

[Not necessarily ceremony in the narrow sense, but a strong experience of the unity and interconnectedness of the world, an experience that profoundly moves you. as the Odaylans also say, "Everything is connected. That is why we can track birds through the air."]

Well there it is. Let me emphasise again that the cards are intended as storytelling aids and prompts, and should always be secondary to the story itself.

If you've persevered this far, you're obviously interested in the general concept, and I hope you've found something you can take away and use. Philippa and I are all to aware of the holes and failings in our present system, but continued experimentation and play will iron out most of the bugs. We hope we've given you some ideas that you can use and adapt to your own campaign. If you come up with new cards (If you're using Gods rather than Runes for instance) or new ways of using them, please let me know. Unfortunately, I can't promise I'll reply before RQ Con.

If there is interest, I can post the Heroquest spread and some ideas about using the cards to generate scenario ideas.

Let me know if you want the Hypercard stack containing the cards.

Cheers

John

END PART FIVE
END