Heroquest Roads, and Hwarin's building them

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_sartar.toppoint.de>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 1996 02:29:18 MET

Loren asked:
> I have heard that the Hwarin Dalthippa cult appears to build very special
> lunar roads.

I don't know about the cult, but the Heroine herself certainly did so.

> There are two levels to the roads, supported by arches every 10 to
> 30m. The upper level is narrow, 5 to 10 meters above the ground, and
> used mostly for ceremonial purposes. I bet that nobles also use it
> to segregate themselves from social inferiors. The lower level is
> broad, 1 to 3 meters above the ground, and used for normal traffic.
> Arches support the roads.

> It would be prohibitively expensive to build such roads normally, so
> the HD cult must have some amazing magic going on to make them
> possible.

Or she has found a way to extend her mundane roads into the hero realm, which, according to an old essay of Greg on Heroquesting (actually the introduction to Waha's Quest from DW4, p.29, from autumn 1979). He writes about three different types of heroquesting:

"There are currently three types of Heroquests being run in Chaosium at this time. These three types are: 1) the "in-world" or practice runs; 2) The Magic Roads type; 3) The Other Side adventures.

[...]

In the Dragon's Past articles on the events of 1613, two examples for use of Magical Roads are given: Redbird's flight from Alda-chur via Cliffhome to the Holy Country, and the Colymar/duck expedition taking the short cut to Stormwalk Mountain to contact Temertain in Seapolis.

Rurik Runespears sudden appearance in the Zorak Zoran episode of Biturian's Travels seems to work similarly, and I recall that the Hill of Gold heroquest description implied that the various questers started from Dragon Pass or Prax and arrived physically close to Bikhy.

Mastakos "n" steps to the West in KoS is another of these roads, I suppose, and Ronance's movement powers in Prax make use of the ley lines between the various altars, too.

Dragonewt Roads seem to function similarly.

Now, if the upper level of Hwarin's roads (or Godunya's bridges, or the Pharaoh's bridge) produce a controllable, event-less transit on such a heroquest road, the magical benefit would well be worth the effort - express travel between Jillaro and Mirin's Cross or Cafol and Hilltown would take less than a day. This beats even moon boats or wyvern riders.