Re: Independent Magicians

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 96 19:01:19 -0600

I ask
>What are these non-evil things that a priest can't do for the same
>money or more probably less than some random hedge-witch
Martin replies
>As I stated in my earlier posts: minor divinations, curses, and
>other woven magics that pursue individual goals, as opposed to the
>group interests represented by religion.

        Religion represents "group interests"? Perhaps, but it also represents individual interests. My Mormon bishop takes out time to talk to me personally about my family concerns. Why wouldn't a village priest, with a similar-sized congregation (50-200 people), be willing to help one of his initiates?

        Supplicant, "Father Martin, I keep all the laws of Orlanth, pay a full tithe of my crop into your hands, attend all holy days and celebrations, and set aside one day in ten for serving in the temple gardens. I raise my children in Orlanth's Way, and my wife serves the altar of Ernalda. I bring spear, shield, and helm to the chieftain's call to arms. Oh, Father Brooke, avenge me of mine enemy."

        Father Brooke: "Nay, my son, for I do not see how helping thee would pursue our group interests."

        Right.

Sandy P.