Re: roleplaying

From: Eric G. Scharf <escharf_at_seattleu.edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 1996 11:59:52 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 2 Mar 1996, Andrew Joelson wrote:
> Roleplaying is not about combat, is about trying to act out a particular
> personality.
On Mon, 2 Mar 1996 Eric G. Scharf wrote:

> I didn't say anything about combat. What are personalities but
>extremely complex calculi of costs and benefits?

Would you care to define _your_own_ personality in such a context? There are a million more things to any personality than a "extremely complex calculi of costs and benefits". If you were right, there would be no psychologists, we would all ware the same clothes, do the same things, react in the same way, and shit at the same time. We do not. We do not even try to do that. When there is any disagreement, your mentioned parameters are rarely conciddered, and never without a immensly complex set of values, virtues and personal taste, that is the base for the disagreement. I sincerely hope that you do not run your own life in the same way thart you run your role characters.

Lars-R.