Oops! I killed the Gods!

From: Nick Effingham <wal_at_eff.u-net.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 19:28:17 +0100

JMack (?) writes:

>Im new on the list and not as well read as you folks so ill keep it short.If
>Argrath kills the gods(KoS),wouldent Glorantha collapse.Who would fight to
>keep out Chaos.Without Yelm were would light come from?IfErnalada is the
>source of all food.If Aldrya is slain Would all the woodlands wither and die?
>Can dragonnewts be beborn?What would happen without the GodsCompromise?
>Arachne Solara bound the world into time could time stop without her? Well
>thats it and thank you.

 Ahh, something I can answer! If Argrath kills all the gods (circa 1725 ST), then the Cosmos doesn't collapse, but the HeroPlane does. The explanation goes something like this: Frex, a Hero kills Orlanth. This doesn't mean that suddenley chaos wins the Godtime battle and the Cosmos dissolves because Orlanth is unable to make the Lightbringer's Quest. It does mean that Orlanth's Rune Priests lose access to rune magic, divination, divine intervention etc... Next, since Orlanth is the god of wind, the wind patterns become erratic and unstable. Then the mythical landscape begins to decay. The effects of the Lightbringer Quest fail, the cult of Yelm begins to lose his magic, Chalana Arroy and the other Lightbringer's start to die and their cults dissolve; the forces of chaos begin to swell -- obviously killing Orlanth has many ramifacations which would eventually result in the end of the Cosmos. However, Time has not changed, the priests in the First and Second Age do not loose their magic, people do not forget who Orlanth was -- but Orlanth is still dead. As you can see, the results of a HQ are gradual, as can be seen from the Syndic's Ban or Illiteracy Era.  So, that is why the gods don't talk back. All the gods, except Chaos, have died and so Chaos has the Upper Hand. From the RQ-Con Compendium it seems possible that it was a Thanatari Hero who was responsible for the Illiteracy era. In the Fourth Age I think that there are underlying corruptions about to spring forth and devour Glorantha unless what Argrath did was in fact to slay all the gods on Purpose, which would mean that he'd most likely have some way to stop the HeroPlane unravelling and signalling the end of the Cosmos. But if the God Learners couldn't do it, why should he?

Nick E.

Nick Effingham         E-Mail:wal_at_eff.u-net.com
<None so gaudy, nor as bloody,
as the sword that would,
crash and bash, an' swing with a flash,
and spill thine enemies blood>