Dark thoughts

From: Brian Tickler <tickler_at_netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 1996 15:45:42 -0700 (PDT)

I was considering the concept of "night" on Glorantha recently and I am wondering about the following:
  1. Should the darkness of night represent merely the absence of Yelm's light as in the RW, or (as I would imagine *should* be the case) is there a tangible presence of Darkness involved?
  2. If there is, *how* is it involved? How does it interact with Air, the Sky Dome, etc.
  3. I'm aquainted with the notion that (perhaps, depending on whose view of Glorantha you subscribe to) Yelm chases Darkness out of Hell at night and chases it back to Hell in the morning, but is there any more to it than that? Official info? Unofficial info? Musings from past digest discussions?
  4. Making an assumption for the moment that in a magical, non-scientific way, sound is transmitted through various elements, does a Troll's darksense work better at night, than if the same Troll were just blindfolded (based on the idea that Darksense is more than just sonar and has an actual "affinity" to Darkness vs. sounds travelling through other elements)? Are there other effects of interest to Troll or various Darkness creatures/entities/spirits?

I have read all the available RQ2-RQ3 material I have on the subject, but I'm looking for a little bit more...I can obviously make up my own stuff for game flavor, but I'm wondering what other people have done in this area.