even more about changing the past

From: Carl Fink <carlf_at_panix.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 19:34:31 -0400

Nick Brooke:

>I can't see why Carl thinks that having different cultures interpret mythical
>acts in different ways has anything to do with whether his PCs are remembered
>anywhere outside of Bikhy and its near environs...

I don't. That's not the issue -- the issue is the ability of Heroquesters (or mere preachers?) to retroactively change events after they've happened. This is different from merely reinterpreting them.

That is: I have no problem with Theyalans thinking Orlanth slew Yelm, while Dara Happans think Rebellus Terminus slew Murharzarm. (Is that right? I don't have copy of GROY here.) I have a problem with Joe Heroquester changing the story so that the Sun was a female principle, and instead of dying was seduced and impregnated.

Is that clearer?

>Speaking for myself, I have no time for the "HeroQuesting = Time Travelling"
>lobby: it creates *far* more problems than it's worth to approach mythical
>evolution in this way (cf. the Elmal fiasco). Or, indeed, for the "Belief =
>Mythical Reality" lobby. Various peoples' myths and belief-structures will be
>determined by "What Really Happened", but they'll interpret the events in
>different ways. Look at the Cults of Terror cosmology for more on this: four
>completely different interpretations of Gloranthan "reality", all of them
>correct and overlapping.

I have absolutely no problem with this, but it doesn't match the current Greg-thinking. For that matter, as Mike Cule points out in the same digest Greg has implied or stated that Heroquesters can change their own pasts, in Time.

Note also that the Malkioni and Mostali (and Kralori, right?) don't recognize the separation of Godtime and Time. What can their Heroquesters do?
- --

Dueling Modems, Inc.                    http://www.sfrt.com/sfrt/
"As the most participatory form of mass speech yet developed, the Internet deserves the highest protection from government intrusion."

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #660