<sings> Blu-ue Moo-oon!

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 12:36:24 +0800

>>During this time there was a white planet, which moved in odd ways.
>>Interpretation - AFAIK no one but the Yuthuppans recorded this stuff.

>The Zzabur Lore of the Brithini, the archives of Kuchawn in Kralorela
>and the Gods Wall all contain some Astronomical Observations which
>are as old.

        The Brithin and Kralorelan star lore is indeed pretty much as old as the Yuthuppans. That is because most of it is cribbed from the Yuthuppans, AFAIK. The Brithini IIRC believe most of their star lore comes from the City of Pillars far to the east, which they deny is Yuthuppa despite all evidence to the contrary. In any case, it doesn't matter much. I am quite willing to admit that the Brithini and Kralorelans have their own records and interesting theory about the sky, but as we have no idea what it said (or at least I don't) then we might as well not mention it, eh?

        And only you, Peter, treat the Gods Wall as a source of reliable astronomical observations. Its a drawing of gods, some of whom are just standing there, some of who are playing out little stories, and some of whom have planet symbols on their heads. It seems pretty reasonable that they might throw in symbols for planets that they had seen but that weren't around anymore (particularly in the case of the ten planets, which even if they had disappeared they would still put in for the Yelmic ideal). (I'll leave out my fantasy of the Lodril hero with an adamant chisel adding in things that he thought were missing). Your theory is interesting, but relying as it does on an extremely literal interpretation of the Gods Wall I remain unconvinced.

Nick Effingham - posts an interesting Black Moon myth - I like it. The Dara Happan concept of the Other is very troublesome, though.

        So, I'm not sure whether I go for it or not. It might be that the Black Moon is the moon during its time in Hell, rather than a separate being (and is has now risen, we just can't see it).

        The Other

        I think part of the problem is that to be the Other of someone makes it impossible to ever truly defeat them. So rather than take the obvious Other (which would lead you into Carmanian dualism, where the Other of Darkness is Light, and the Other of Good is Evil, and other such intuitive things), the Dara Happans have played around with the concept a great deal in order to stop various bad forces from getting the power of the Other. There are myths of the contest for the Other in the Ivory Pages edition of GRoY - in which the contest for the other is almost turned into another Marriage contest. Various bad forces (Orlanth, Gorgorma, Kazkurtum, etc.) all try to become the Other, and Yelm says 'nup, Dendara is my Other', thus keeping this dangerous position in the hands of a cult thoroughly under the thumb. NB Gorgorma gets the best line - something like 'I am your Other, because you dare not even think of what I am.'

        Which is not to say that this Yelmic fiction always succeeds. I think the Kazkurtum/ Basko cult defines itself in large part as the opposite of Yelm, in at least an attempt to usurp the power of the Other. (NB - note I just blithely slipped in a theory of my own there - I think Kazkurtum from GRoY is the same as Basko, the Black Sun). Besides the obvious, they also go out of their way to behave differently, and hold their rituals in sunken step ampitheatres that are as close to an upside down, empty ziggurat (Footstool) as is possible to be. Though the current troll worshippers may not be so clear on why they do this.

        On another note, I think the Moon cult at one time tried to actually usurp the Yelmic pattern, and possibly define itself as the Emperors other - during the reign of the Blue Moon goddess on earth, when Mernita was ruled by the a woman called Cerrulia, who warred with Emperor Lukarius (and was defeated when he shot down the moon). My theory is that Cerrulia sought to incarnate the moon goddess (Lesilla, I think) much the same way as Lukarius incarnated the Sun god Yelm, and shared parts of her soul with the goddess (possibly like Yelmgatha, shared all 5 parts except for the sixth, the physical body). I think according to Gregs current thinking Lukarius eventually marries her, to demonstrate his complete masculine mastery (perhaps showing that she was the Other, but conquered like Dendara?), and she become Gerra, goddess of suffering.

        Cheers

                David