Fire

From: Jane Williams <jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 22:39:02 +0100

Pam on Elmale (and lots of other things - thanks!):
>Elamle could be a daughter of the Fire Tribe who fled, or was captured,
>or won away from them. Or she may have felt pity for the Folk of Storm
>and brought them the Hearthfire - after much heroic stealing of it, or
>something cool like that.

Which to my mind raises an excellent point. Just how do non-Sun/Fire worshippers get the use of fire, mythically? Not major fire powers, just the ability to cook and to work metal. Is there a Prometheus-equivalent in Orlanthi mythology? The Elmale theory sounds great to me, but since she was only invented a few days ago, it probably isn't the original. Did Orlanth steal Fire from Yelm while trying to woo Ernalda? I don't see Elmal bringing it: he's too similar to Yelmalio, and losing Fire powers is an important part of his myth. Gustbran and the Homefires (Low Fires?) are mentioned in a few places: are they ex-Fire tribe? Hostages, taken as part of the Great Theft? I assume it's all written up somewhere, most things seem to be: which out-of-print supplement should I be looking for?

* Jane Williams * The answer to any either/or question is "yes" *