Illiteracy era

From: owner-glorantha_at_hops.wharton.upenn.edu
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 22:38:51 +0100

Fron Brian:
>Does anyone think there's validity to the theory that the loss of literacy
>might be due to Argrath's sacrificing the gods in Argrath and the Devil?
>Specifically Lhankor Mhy, if we are to subscribe to the theory that
>Argrath and the Devil occurred during Argrath's LBQ.

Nice idea: I like it. The only real problem I can see is that L.M. wasn't the only god to go. Did people also forget how to talk (Issaries), make love (Uleria), breathe (Orlanth)..... see what I mean?

Actually I think it was Argrath's fault, but for a different reason. This is very much IMHI and IMG: only about 2% has evidence to back it up!

Theory as follows:
1) CHDP was written to be presented to Argrath, c.1640 (and IMI drafted in part by Argrath and toned down later).
2) CHDP contains descriptions of events c.1625-1630 that differ markedly from reality (like who was on the throne of Sartar, lit the Flame, and got murdered by Harrek): flattering to Argrath yes, but also within the memories of a lot of people, so rather silly.
3) Argrath had been playing around with Draconic and EWF magic.

Blind jump to far-fetched conclusion:
Argrath wanted people to believe the version of events in CHDP. He tried to use some EWF magic (e.g. Minarian Memory Removal) to remove their memories and replace them with the ones in the book. He cocked it up, badly, but the results didn't show up for a while.

* Jane Williams * The answer to any either/or question is "yes" *

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #676