Darkness not equal to Fear

From: fantome_at_ozemail.com.au
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 1996 01:22:11 +1000

Ian Gorlick writes

>> Can anyone tell me why the gods of Darkness have Fear powers? (shades attack
with Fearshock, ZZ has Fear spell, KL commands Fear Spirits, etc.) <<

>> I still believe that this association of darkness and fear is
>>anthropocentric

and not appropriate for trollish gods without some modifications. <<

Fear comes from the Darkness. The gods of darkness met fear, but even though they could not fully encompass it, they understood enough of Fear to be able to use it. The Dark, however, is not the only source of Fear. With these assumptions it follows Darkness does not equal Fear.

Even the structure of Troll society makes use of fear. The 'stronger' troll has power. Lesser creatures in the power structure are intimidated to let them know their place.

Although the trolls find comfort in the darkness, there are still things in the Dark which they fear. In the Dark no one can see you scream.

It makes sense to me.

Oliver Bernuetz writes

>> Ian Gorlick is concerned about the Troll deities giving fear spells when
trolls aren't scared of the dark. This makes sense. An easy answer is that the spells don't work on trolls. Against trolls they are contentment or soothing spells. <<

I don't agree with this reasoning, though this thought had crossed my mind. Zorak Zoran is (for example) the troll beserker. Having Zorak Zoran have a comfort spell (even for trolls) does not make sense to me. Xiola Umbar is the comforter for trolls. My main objection is that trolls can be made afraid. This is the case even if the fear is not caused by the absence of light, which I have been leaning to think as something quite different to the Dark.

Brian
fantome_at_ozemail.com.au <SPACE RESERVED FOR RENT>