Re: heroquesting; Orlanthi; gods

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 23:27:04 -0700

Carl Fink asked Sandy:

> Yes, but can your kids heroquest and retroactively turn you into a
> hard-drinking, cigar smoking prizefighter?

No, but I'll bet his kids can all misbehave at the same time and turn him into an ogre. At least temporarily. However, just as you can't change the core nature of a god, I'll bet they couldn't drive him to drinking.

So why the straw man? I don't know of anyone who thinks heroquesting can make any retroactive changes.

Brad Stradley wondered

> I have seen many refrences to HeroQuest(s). Is this another term for a
> type of scenerio/campaign or is it another game system?

It's the reenactment of a mythic event, or creation of a new myth. Although people have tried creating game systems to handle them, I don't think it can yet be considered a game system.

I've got a couple sorts of heroquests on my Web site <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html>, and I think Simon Phipps has written the most extensively on them <http://members.aol.com/simonphipp/>. You might also check the Glorantha FAQ
<http://hops.wharton.upenn.edu/~loren/Rolegame/glorantha.faq.html>.

Ian Whitchurch gave a nice set of Lunar responses to losing patrols. Bravo!

Pam Carlson summarized some of the events in my East Ralios campaign. More information can be found at
<http://www.pensee.com/dunham/ralios/tales6.html>. Much of the big excitement came about thanks to the Pendragon passion rules -- Asvak the Strong was inspired by his loyalty to his king to perform great deeds in battle. Orlanthi can get impassionate over just about anything.

I will point out that the caravan (the second ever to come through Dorastor) never claimed to worship the moon (in fact, I think not a single member was a Red Moon initiate), they merely said their emperor, "The Military," was so great that he had dominion over it. The Lunars are well aware that Orlanthi can react poorly to them, although since no Ralian has really had personal contact with the Empire, I don't think they're particularly hostile, even if they remember that some priest once said the Red Moon was bad.

Jim Chapin claimed

> However, you could no more worship Humakt as the God of love than you
> could Sarku.

Perhaps not (though I thought there was a Humaktuleria cult somewhere), but Tolat is worshipped either as god of love, or as Shargash the Destroyer. Gods can have many facets.