Re: Lunar names and wagons

From: Kevin Rose <vladt_at_interaccess.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 1996 23:22:59 -0500 (CDT)

David Durham said (to my comment)

> > A few months ago I asked about names for the majority of the Molari-sor
> > and Eel-ariash clans.
>
> Isn't Eel-ariash already the name of a clan? The one Hon-eel and Jar-eel
> came from? I'm not sure what sort of name you want.

I'm wondering if all the Eel-arish (individuals) use the same name structure (as there are only a few thousand possible combinations, which is enough - but still I wonder) and if there is any similar pattern for the Molari-sor clan. I have a long running plot that involved a descendent of Hon-eel busily planning to blow away the Molari-sor usurpers who stole Palbar and Oraya from her clan. Having names that work would be nice.

Peter Metcalfe said

> While I agree that the Praxians don't use wagons, I was of the opinion
> that the Pentans did not use them as well. This was mainly from the
> description of Pent as a grassy plain which would make wood somehwat
> scarce.

Yes, but trees are also fairly scarce in Mongolia and the rest of central Asia. Not a lot of forests between between 30N and 50N, although there are increasing number north of that, as one approaches the Amur & Argun rivers and Lake Baikal. Even so, they used a lot of wagons. Presumably they took very good care of them in the middle of the steppes.

I'm curious as it makes a lot of diference in how one lives. For example, it's a lot easier to haul around and set up a workshop carried on a wagon than on a string of pack horses. I'm also trying to figure out some further differences between the Pentan's and (human) Praxian's physical culture besides funny looking mounts and herd animals.

My current thoughts are that the Pentan's have better quality bows, use wagons, can work metal, and have a lot more aerial allied critters. They can't live in the blasted desert that the 'barbarians' live in but can raid it (if they can find anything worth raiding.) The Praxians can wander around Pent in the summer and harass their ancient enemies, but not in the winter, as their critters (and themselves) freeze to death.

Kevin