Comments

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 13:32:07 +1200

Joerg Baumgartner:

JB>>>What was Horal's caste crime?

Me>>He wanted to be a wizard.

>That official? Where from?

Arkat's Saga presumably. I only heard about this through Nick B.

>The Duchy of the Blue Moon has been suspiciously absent from more recent
>scriptures by Greg. A lot of its "previous" territory has now become the
>land of the Bird People of Jarasan and later Kestinliddi. Of course, the
>area north of these has been mentioned only once, in the fall of Sedenya,
>which does correlate with the Blue Moon Plateau myths known earlier.

Actually it is alluded to somewhat in the Fortunate Succession. One of the Red Emperors makes a city for the Digijelm to live in and the City of Dinzizi is important in the Empire although obscure.

>That said, I'm interested in other peoples' opinions on Annilla. She is a
>most strange composite deity, her Troll Gods (God Learner?) version
>containing myths from the Pelandan Blue People (with her as a water
>goddess)

The Pelandan Blue People did not worship Annilla IMO (in Daxdarius's time and before) and followed Erstoro instead. Of the Blue People of Genertela, only the Loper People are said to have worshipped her. The Cult of Annilla would not have appeared in Peloria until after the planet actually rose into the sky (sometime after the first Sunset IMO).

>Is it just me, or is there a trend to make the Vadeli the projection
>of all the evil rumours about the medieval Jews into Glorantha?
>Recently there even was the rumour about a shit golem...

Having been the originator of this creature, I must say that the Vadeli are not solely vile jewish stereotypes IMO. The Reds have customs which are taken from evil rumours about Christians (they probably eat pork as well...) frex.

>There might also be Vadeli cities on Jrustela - some texts indicate some
>human presence there, despite what is said about the Elder Races island
>cultures, mainly the Dormal text description of the Vadeli arrival in
>Jrustela (Tales 10, p.15, or RQ-Companion, p.22):

There is a human city mentioned in the Glorantha Beastiary under the Myrmidron description - the Bluepoints 'tribe' is located on the largest isle and is said to be living too close to comfort to a human city there. This may be the same city (Crangress IIRC) as mentioned in the Elder Races Book (under Dwarf settlements) as trading with a rebel Dwarvern settlement for iron in exchange for toucan feathers. [Which probably explains why the Diamondwarf pictured in Gods of Glorantha has a feather in his cap].

>[2] From the description, most likely humans and not timinit natives. I have
>seen another early text of Greg mentioning descendants "of Brithini race"
>(i.e. Malkioni) on the Jrusteli Islands after the Closing, living in castles
>bordering upon a jungle.

Some worshippers of Aurelion also survived at Breakwater AFAIK.

End of Glorantha Digest V3 #133