Re: Spirits, Sorcerors, and Shamans

From: Henk Langeveld - ENS Europe ,id 21636,x15338 <Henk.Langeveld_at_Holland.Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 12:49:07 +0200 (MET DST)

I'd like to compare the attitude of Sorcerors and Shamans towards spirits with that of the buffalo hunters of the North American plains.

While the natives *knew* the buffalo intimately, and depended on it for their life, the white hunters with their rifles knew far better how to kill the animals.

A shaman lives part of his life in the spirit plane. He would not dare to disturb it, for fear of the consequences. A sorceror doesn't care: spirits are raw materials. The spirit plane is a dangerous area where no sane person would dwell voluntarily.

I could imagine the occasional expedition of a group of sorcerors into the spirit plane: This would be a rare and impressive undertaking.

Henk.Langeveld_at_Sun.COM