Scorpion Hell

From: Simon D. Hibbs <simon_at_fcrd.gov.uk>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 16:26:47 +0100 (BST)

Sandy Petersen on Scorpion Men :

> An adult scorpion man is _significantly_ superior to a human
>warrior. The scorpion man hits first (larger size & higher DEX). If
>he hits, he does crippling damage. If the sting penetrates, his
>opponent is out of the fight (even successfully resisting the poison
>costs him 5-6 HP and is seriously demoralizing). He gets two attacks
>per round, and the human can parry only one. 30-40% of his enemy's
>hits are ineffectual blows on the creature's arthropod legs. Even
>naked, the scorpion man has armor. If it wears leather or bits of
>scavenged armor besides, it is as well-off as most human
>professionals. Given equal skill, a scorpion man will kill a human
>warrior nine times out of ten.

I love scorpion men and use them often - When starting a new game I gradualy escalate things untill the players have built some experience. The Folk are one of the nasties I only loose against seasoned adventurers, or just to scare the pants off them.

Scorpion Folk are lethal, as Sandy says, but there are a few tactics that some players have developed that make them a bit easier to cope with.

Parry Lots - with swords
This tactic is designed to cope with the scorpion man's extra attack. When the SM attacks with the tail, a failed attack against a successful parry does damage to the tail. If you parried with a sword, eventualy you'll whittle away the tail. Given the choice, parry the tail with the best weapon you have - you'll take the tail out faster and have a better chance against the 'Carapace' spell. Once the tail is gone, fight as normal.

Dispell Carapace
Carapace is a nasty spell - 8 points of armour. Dispell it wherever you see it. It takes 4 points of Dispell Magic or 2 points of Dismiss. Otherwise, it's time to pull out the Maxed Minotaur Berserker with Big Axe or watever other damage monster character your PCs have come up with.

Magic
Demoralise and Befuddle are handy spells against the Folk, who as Sandy says are psychicaly challenged, and are stupid enough to stay bemoralised for a while. Also, Carapace provides no countermagic effect. Forget Disrupt - too squity damage against such high hit point monsters.

Mobility
Highly recommended. I have seen more PC warrior types fall to the Folk than any other RQ nasty - and that isn't because I over use them. I've seen it in other people's games too. Players coming up against scorpion people just don't take them seriously enough soon enough. If in doubt, leg it.

Of course Scorpion Man lairs are ideal for Gloranthan re-enactments of Aliens, complete with the Queen Mum as the end of level nasty.

Simon