Re: chaos ogre bad guys & the cradle

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 96 18:16:06 -0500

Craig Furber
>my Ogre PC has been given two tasks to perform.

>The first task for her is to "return to here in no later than 3

>moons and place at my feet an artefact of Wakboth Lord of all Evil"

        Note that in the Devil's Playground in the Big Rubble is something called the Eye of Wakboth. Might be easier than the Block. Except of course that no one has ever returned alive from the Playground -- but that might not apply to an ogre.

        Also, in the Devil's Marsh live certain creatures whom all agree are "parts of the Devil", i,e., Wakboth.

  1. Dragon snails, bullsitch, and similar monsters are said to be the result of the Devil's body fluid contaminating ordinary swamp critters. These may be too mundane to qualify for your quest.
  2. Cacodemon is direct spawn of the Devil, and some say he is an actual piece -- the Devil's tongue, or brain, or something.
  3. The Left Hand wanders around the swamp -- it is the Devil's honest-to-goodness left hand, which wasn't squished under the Block. Good luck, tho, because the Left Hand takes out whole armies.

        In Snakepipe Hollow is a creepy thing called the Right Hand. It seems too small to be the real Right Hand, which I say has broken into hundreds of fragments, so other Right Hands can be found here and there around Prax and its environs. Of course, since they can't reproduce, the number of the Right Hands keeps dwindling. But I'm sure there's still a dozen or two left. They'd be worthily hard to capture, too.

        4) Inside the marsh is a secret lair filled with semi-sentient chaos gas, reputedly the last Breath of the devil. Bottle some?

        Anyway, there's some ideas on getting a hunk o' Wakboth that might be easier than taking on the Block and burrowing below to the Devil through solid adamant.

>Human and Dragonewt babies are also prized sacrifices

        Technically, dragonewts _are_ babies. On the rare occasion a new egg is laid, it hatches into a Scout 'newt. But perhaps an egg itself would be the prize you describe -- capturing a genuine egg and destroying it permanently destroys the dragonewt and ends his reincarnation.

Harry Bowman
1. Why is the Cradle full of magical treasure?

        The baby's parents put them there to teach and train the kid as he grows up in the Underworld.

2. Why does it have defenses?

        To protect it. (Duh.)

3. Where did it come from?

        The Rockwood mountains. Most knowledgeable Digesters agree that it's Gonn Orta's kid.

4. Why didn't upstream folks stop it?

        There aren't any. Actually, there are a few, but they're too puny to stop the cradle. Also, most people in Prax are happy to see the cradles once more -- the giants are traditional friends of the Praxians, but haven't been seen since the Second Age.

5. What are the exact conditions when it goes downstream? What time of year and time of day does the scenario begin?

        Up To The GM.

>Do folks on the shore notice the cradle?

        Yes. It's huge.

>6. Who participates in intercepting the cradle or in aiding its

>downstream journey?

        Basically, the Black Fang killers & the Lunars want to steal the magic crap and kill the baby, and the Sartarites, Pavisites, and trolls want to save the cradle.

>7. What are the results of this trip in Prax: Is it big news for

>weeks? What is the political fallout? (This is especially
>important).

        It's big news, brings Garrath Sharpsword (probably = Argrath) out of hiding and takes him out of the campaign, too, as he goes down Magasta's Pool with the cradle.

        Political fallout is that the major power groups of Pavis have been forced to come out in open opposition to one another. The trolls, Pavis city fathers, and exiled Sartarites were forced to choose up sides when the Cradle appeared, and all either fought vs. the Lunars, or stood aside without helping the Lunars.

        Another result is that as a result of the cradle, Sor-Eel is removed from his office as governor of Prax. This is one of the first steps in the ascent of Tatius the Bright, as Sor-Eel is one of what's-his-name's proteges (the Lunar Governor-General of Sartar's name is on the tip of my tongue) and a Prax expert.

  1. It is Storm Season 1622. Who is in control of 1) Esrolia, 2) Karse, 3) Heortland. I can't piece it all together.

        Esrolia = the various matriarchal clans are non-violently struggling for dominance.

        Karse = I don't recall, in 1622. Either the Malkioni, or the Lunars.

        Heortland = no one. It's chaos.

>2. When does Tatius' failed military move take place (G:CotHW)?

        Some years after the Cradle scenario.

>3. When does Sor Eel get replaced, and why?

        Within a year after the Cradle, because of the Cradle.

4. The source of the Zola Fel is the Leaping Place Falls. The Falls are deep in troll territory and in a forest that has an elf population. I find it difficult to believe that the relatively

combat light ZF's would have an easy time in troll territory, year after year, without a formal arrangement.

        It's not troll territory -- it's in Dagori Inkarth. Not the same thing at all. It's at the far end of Dagori Inkarth, where the trolls are thinnest and weakest, plus right near the elf-controlled area. There are few trolls here, so they present no problem. The elves have long had treaties with the ZF cultists, whom they rightly regard as a major source of the water they and their plants require for life.

        Also, the Redwood "forest" is more scrub oak and shrubs than real woodland. Not too many real elves, plenty of scraggly runners.

>5. Finally, one of the SiP scenarios has the PC's chopping down
trees in the Desolation Hills, presumably close to the river. Since the scenario does not mention elf interference, can one presume that the author's intent was a) the trees in question are not in elf territory, or b) the elves don't mind _too_ much if some trees get cut?

	Dunno about the author's intent, but ...
	First off, if not too much time was taken cutting the trees,
the weak and thinly spread elves in the area wouldn't be able to come to the rescue.

        Second, if the loggers were heavily armed or numerous, the elves probably wouldn't take action, unless it looked like the treecutters were going to move in on a large area.

        Third, elves in weak positions sometimes make treaties with lumberjacks for limited access to timber. Elves usually accompany them to Food Song the slain trees. If the elves are strong, they don't allow this, of course.